Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know, I lost power steering twice when running over water. See previous thread, if you like.

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-i...39551-ran-over-water-power-steering-lost.html

I replaced the belt and thought I fixed the problem. But today I decided to make 100% sure. With the car running, I poured some water on the belt, at first belt was still running pretty good. But when I poured about 1 pt (500 ml) of water onto it within 2 or 3 seconds, the belt stopped again, :-(. I know, I know, this was almost abusing and it probably never happens in real life. But that still makes me really nervous. As a comparision, I tried the same procedure on a 96 Bonneville and the belt ran happily all the time, even with twice the amount of water.

So could anybody try it too? Thanks. That would help me pinpoint the problem and hopefully it doesn't happen on too many cars. The best position for water is probably between the PSP and the idler in the front of the car. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my neighbors actually has a 06 LT with 3.5L regular fuel. Same drive setup. He was nice enough to let me try it on his car. What I can tell for sure is that his belt is original, the pulleys are the same sizes as those on my car and he belt feels even LOOSER than mine! But his car tolerated 1 pt of water without problem. So what do you think? I can see nothing wrong with my car, compared to his. I may still want to order a new tensioner but I doubt it will help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, well, I have to fix this problem. But today I noticed something new (to me). When the belt stops running, I saw the crankshaft pulley actually has 2 pieces. I googled a bit and was confirmed and also learned that these two parts are probably driven by rubber. And more importantly, I found out that when the belt stops running, the outer part of the pulley actually stops too, only the inner part continues running happily. Can that be the problem?

If it is, it sounds like something covered by 100k powertrain again (? Could anybody please confirm that for me? Thanks). I may take it to the dealership tomorrow, again. But before I do that, I will really appreciate your opinions. Thank you very much! It has been really quiet here.

·
Banned
351 Posts
To be honest with you... it seems to me like you are going to painstaking efforts to diagnose this issue. In actuality, if the belt stops once you pour water onto it, you should be able to drive the car to the dealership, show the service dept the issue, and THEY should diagnose and fix.

It sucks that people do not trust dealerships enough to do this correctly, or to do this AT ALL, but my opinion is that if you are not satisfied with their service, find another dealer, or find a different way to present your case. I am not a negotiating guru or anything, but there is always a way to get what you want, especially when you have a contract saying that it is owed to you.

If they tell you it is a normal thing for the car to do, dont just say "ok" and leave... press harder and have them explain to you the purpose behind that feature, and how they were able to achieve that feature... If hes lying, it will all come out in the questions.

Sorry I cant help you with the mechanics of this, but this is how I would approach the situation if it were my car. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks and I do get your point. But you miss my point too (OK, my bad, I never told you actually). I like to learn and study cars. Although I still don't know much, it's fun. That's why I come here to ask and I really appreciate your help, and many others'. So I learn something. If I just go to the dealership directly, I will never know anything like this.

As for the dealership, no, I don't have too much problem with them, at least for now.

To be honest with you... it seems to me like you are going to painstaking efforts to diagnose this issue. In actuality, if the belt stops once you pour water onto it, you should be able to drive the car to the dealership, show the service dept the issue, and THEY should diagnose and fix.

It sucks that people do not trust dealerships enough to do this correctly, or to do this AT ALL, but my opinion is that if you are not satisfied with their service, find another dealer, or find a different way to present your case. I am not a negotiating guru or anything, but there is always a way to get what you want, especially when you have a contract saying that it is owed to you.

If they tell you it is a normal thing for the car to do, dont just say "ok" and leave... press harder and have them explain to you the purpose behind that feature, and how they were able to achieve that feature... If hes lying, it will all come out in the questions.

Sorry I cant help you with the mechanics of this, but this is how I would approach the situation if it were my car. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think its time you took this to the dealer, without actually seeing the car, its really hard to say what your problem really is. If you build a relationship with the service writer, you can always ask to see the old part that was replaced, and ask to speak to a mechanic. 9 times out of 10 they'll let you talk to the mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I found out that when the belt stops running, the outer part of the pulley actually stops too, only the inner part continues running happily. Can that be the problem?

If it is, it sounds like something covered by 100k powertrain again (? Could anybody please confirm that for me? Thanks). I may take it to the dealership tomorrow, again. But before I do that, I will really appreciate your opinions. Thank you very much! It has been really quiet here.
You have found your problem, the harmonic balancer should not stop when the crank is turning. Since the outer part is stopping you have found the problem.

Don't know if it is covered by the warranty or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, especially 77impala (sorry, I don't know your real name, :)). You are right, sir. I found quite many people talked about it in the link below. I in fact used the exact same method the dealership used to diagnose the problem. That's the way I like to deal with cars and car problems.

It would be an easy trip to the dealership since I have already known what the problem is. And yes, harmonic balancer is covered under powertrain warranty.

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-impala/TM4C0JQKR7D946I5D

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Glad to hear that it is covered by the powertrain warranty.

BTW my name is Kenny.:biggrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, Kenny, :biggrin:!

Problem fixed, under warranty by replacing the harmonic balancer. Happy, :biggrin:. Now my car is running problem free, hopefully for many years to come, :biggrin:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts