Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I did not get an owners manual with my 04 Impala. I have ordered one off ebay but not here yet.

I'm hoping there is a way to turn the headlkights off when the car is running and it is dark out. These are not DRL's. I know because the tail lights are on also.

It is driving me crazy to go out in the morning and start the car to warm it up and "BAM", the headlights come on.

Help please!

Thank you,
Slimbob

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
edoqs.com/download/b8e420239e30361f4b12c07b848f30ce

^2004 impala owner's manual
2006 is 8th gen not 7th

Reactions: jfcadena

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
What if you set the emergency brake (BEFORE) you start the car.
My '97 & '00 Malibu worked that way. As did a '00 Chevy 15pass. van that I used to drive for work.

Setting the brake after start does nothing, but doing it before would keep the lights off until I released it.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts

^ These are the only options available for the headlights.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If my parking brake is set, before starting the car; The headlights will stay off. I learned this the hard way- started the car 11:30pm after getting off work, and being extremely tired, I started the car, had no headlights and called my Dad "Hey dad, can you come rescue me- my headlights wont come on" I figured it out, luckily before he came. With the parking brake set, the headlights can't be turned on manually either, parking lights only.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
^ Yep as per the page I posted..

·
Registered
3 Posts
To your left of your stearing wheel there is a knob dont spin it juss pull it in towards you once duh does any one here have an impala?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ I guess not

·
Registered
29 Posts
Disable the Auto on Headlights

I actually just recently did this. It takes about 10 minute.

Go to Radio Shack and get a 5 pack of the 2.2k ohm 1/2w 5% resistors. $1.50 plus tax.

Remove the drive side A frame pillar cover and the dash panel under the windshield. Take the resistor and put it into the bottom of the light sensor and tape it off. This will trick the computer into thinking it is day time all the time.

The only noticeable difference is when you actually turn on the headlights and dim them, the odometer and radio do not dim. Otherwise, you have complete control of your own headlights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All,
I did not get an owners manual with my 04 Impala. I have ordered one off ebay but not here yet.

I'm hoping there is a way to turn the headlkights off when the car is running and it is dark out. These are not DRL's. I know because the tail lights are on also.

It is driving me crazy to go out in the morning and start the car to warm it up and "BAM", the headlights come on.

Help please!

Thank you,
Slimbob
yes these are daytime running lights they should be on.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
In the past this was how to prevent the lights from coming on when wanting to idle the car. This was copied from a 2002 olds van.
Here ia the down load for a 2004 impala
http://drspeedometer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/2004_chevrolet_impala_owners.pdf
So give this a try and see if it works.
To idle your vehicle with the DRL and automatic

headlamp control off, set the parking brake while the

ignition is in OFF or LOCK. Then start the vehicle. The

DRL and automatic headlamp control will stay off until

you release the parking brake.

As with any vehicle, you should turn on the regular

headlamp system when you need it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts