Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 impala ss that recently had problems idling only when it rained. I changed my optispark distributor and all has been well for about two months. Last week it started having the same hesitating(like its missing or something)ALL the time. The second day of this continuos prob it shook real bad as if it was going to die, so i pulled into a gas station and cut her off. It would NOT start after that. I replaced the distributor and it is still doing the same thing. After toying with the ignition coil(with a screw driver while cranking VERY DANGEROUS ) it was firing only when it wanted to, when i believe it should be a constant pulse. Could my ignition coil or module be causing this, or could my new distributor be faulty, or maybe even something else? I would GREATLY appreciate any help, im a college kid in oklahoma who is running out of money to get this darn thing running right before next semester. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
My guess would be the ignition module, but you should probably wait until someone with more knowledge and experience chimes in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks everyone and feel free to still comment

Thanks sooo much for the help so far, and anyone out there feel free to comment, im gonna wait a bit before i spend the 80 bucks on the ignition module and 25 for the igniktion coil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to start working on it today

Thanks for the suggestions, ill keep everyone updated, wish me luck and hopefully I dont shock myself lol

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yeah, don't change the coil wire while the car is running...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 hours in 104 degree weather, the car is atleast running now LOL

:confused:I removed and had the ignition module and coil tested at autozone( they said they were both fine) i also replaced the spark plugs and wires, as well as the ignition coil wire and car is still shaking, good news is that it is running again( the shop that replaced the distributor rotor left the plug on top of the distributor loose, thats why it wouldnt start... now i guess its time to pull the distributor out again, i might as well and im running out of options LOL. Any other ideas guys? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR!!!!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
:confused:I removed and had the ignition module and coil tested at autozone( they said they were both fine) i also replaced the spark plugs and wires, as well as the ignition coil wire and car is still shaking, good news is that it is running again( the shop that replaced the distributor rotor left the plug on top of the distributor loose, thats why it wouldnt start... now i guess its time to pull the distributor out again, i might as well and im running out of options LOL. Any other ideas guys? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR!!!!!
Did you replace the whole Opti or just the rotor and cap? If the shop did that I question everything else they did.

What is the current configuration of your car, is it completely stock or have some mods to it? Make sure your MAF is still hooked up and the elect connector it good. Where are you located?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:confused: They just replace the cap and rotor, should i check to see wtf they did inside there lol??? The MAF and everything else was still hooked up( I got a little paranoid after the shopl eft the distributor wire unhooked and spent about 40 minutes just checking the wires i could get to lol) everything is stock, besides that cap and rotor and flowmasters. I live in OKC, Oklahoma...and no we dont still ride horses everywhere LMAO. Know of any good shops close to here, im about to loose my mind trying to figure this out( not to mention i keep shocking myself lol) THANKS!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has 117,000 miles on it. Dang, i wish knew that, what kind do you recommend? Oreillys has one from cardone industries??? at about 140 bucks, all the way to an MSD opti four like 400 bucks. Any other suggestions on what to check?, I really appreciate it, and P.S. your motor on the pics looksgreat, maybe one day ill be there lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts