Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left side gas tank strap fell off my 96 Impala 2 days ago. Had a hard time finding replacement until I found dealer in Texas that said he had it. Well....email from him this morning and now he doesn't have it! Impala Superstore can't locate....Chevrolet can't locate and tells me part (number 10156971) discontinued in 2007....how am I getting this fixed??????? I've looked for it on the internet.....can't even find a universal one to fit. Did find one at JC Whitney for a 1996 Caprice, will that fit my Impala????? PLEASE ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED! :eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, that should fit, I'm not aware of them having different size tanks. You could also try rms automotive or maybe george bates has one. Don't know if he'd want to ship to NY though...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RMS out of stock - did live chat with JC Whitney rep and they said straps from 96 Caprice will not fit. George if you don't mind can you please check when you have the chance? Thanks! Laurie

·
Registered
371 Posts
RMS out of stock - did live chat with JC Whitney rep and they said straps from 96 Caprice will not fit. George if you don't mind can you please check when you have the chance? Thanks! Laurie
Just as an FYI... George Bates Automotive is the company. Angel is the guy that works there and posts here. He is a smart guy and is very helpful!

-Mike

·
Banned
3,667 Posts

Excuse me, the tank straps are the same no matter if its a caprice or impala. The fuel tanks and sending units are also the same. Sometimes the people on the phone say it will not work just because the screen in front of them does not mention a cross reference, but its the same part.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hard to imagine the Caprice one wouldn't fit, but easy to imagine the JC Whitnuts rep not knowing that.

BTW, years ago my brother went to Whitnuts in Chicago. Said it was incredible - creaky wooden floors and shelves with either nothing or one opened box with a dusty part inside. That catalog has been a comedy act since I was a kid. It's obvious that they are a middle man, and the catalog is more a classified ad with pictures. I love the fact that there's a price on the catalog when I see it in grocery stores yet a coupon that will fall out that if you send it in that will result in years of free catalogs, each with a "this may be your last catalog" threat.

My favorite JC memories were the entire page of aftermarket hood ornaments, the stainless steel Jeep entire bodies and the oil filter that used toilet paper rolls for cartridges.

Keep in mind that JC is famous for screwing things up and you could wait a month and end up receiving a groovy swan hood ornament with lighted wings.

I'd order it somewhere else if possible to eliminate any "surprises".

In a pinch Napa sells generic tank strapping that can work fine.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I have some but im waiting to find out if they too will be used in a custom 68 el camino we are building for someone. In the mean time....contact Mark at capricecars.com He like ourselves works almost exclusively with b-bodies and has parts like we do, just not as much of them. If after this you still have no luck, call our shop and I will find you correct parts even if I have to pull them myself.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The straps will fit. Listen to the Angry Monkey(Angel - George Bates). He know his b-bodies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all of your help guys! Angel......sorry about the name mistake and calliing you George :wink: I have an email out to Mark at Caprice Cars and will let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have all been great in helping me with this! On my way over to Advance this morning to get tank strap! and.......you were so helpful I'm going to start a new thread and pick your brains again :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts