Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Chevy Impala and ever since I've gotten it I've been having this same problem. First thing I want to say is I've had all four tires replaced with brand new tires, I've had the front and back brakes changed, I've had my bushings and my control arms changed so now I'm at a loss and I have no idea what the problem could be. It feels like it's mainly in my passenger tire area but when I'm driving it feels like my tire is wobbling so bad that it's going to pop right off. The issue is I have brand new tires so I know it's not my tires and like I said I just got the bushings and control arms fixed so now I'm just clueless as to what this issue is. The wobbling gets so bad that I can't even go over 30 mph at this point in the car. It gets even worse when I'm going up a hill or when the car has warmed up. Now when I'm breaking going down a hill and sometimes when I accelerate after being at a stop sign there is a popping sound coming from the front end. Can someone please help me figure out what the issue is? I'm tired of spending all this money fixing parts that aren't even the issue please help

·
Registered
2013 Impala LT
589 Posts
I would jack up the front of the car and see if you have any play/movement when you grab the wheels at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and push/pull. If it wiggles quite a bit, you likely need to replace the tie rod ends. Check for play with your hands at 6 & 12 also to see if you might have a bad wheel bearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank u i will try that. I've already put over $1,000 into this car just for it to have the same exact problem. I've gotten cheated by so many mechanics that have claimed they found the problem and could fix it, I believe them, and when I get my car back I'm having the same issues. So I'm hesitant about taking it to another mechanic and I'm definitely far from a mechanic so I'm just at a loss. But I will definitely try that. Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might want to take the rims to a rim shop to see if you have a slight bend in one of them. They have machines that can do a run out test to see if there is a wobble in any wheel. I have had this done.
Also new tires don't necessarily mean anything, it would not be the first time that a new tire was out of whack. Try swapping the fronts for the rears to see if that reduces/eliminates the problem. You might also want to go back to the tire people and complain and have them re-balance the wheels and/or replace the tires under warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would check all the mentioned above, but it could be a wheel bearing or the beginning of the CV joint getting ready to fail. Keep on it and you will find it, hopefully it's something simple, Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mechanic said my mounts were some of the worst one's he's seen and he has 30 years experience 😬 . He also said I need new rotors so I'm getting those replaced soon as well. Also, @ByronF you were right about the tires. The shop I purchased them at gave me one that was split causing a knot in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts