Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 700R4 Transmission in my 1992 chevrolet Caprice Classic and when i first take off in it,it runs kind of loud but when i mash the gas a little and get up to about 35 or 40Mph then it will change to second gear but thats the only time it shift and then it seems to run good then.What do that sound like to you? Should i have it rebuilt or is there a part that has malfunction on it or what but the transmission hasn't went all the way out? I have all ready put another filter on the transmission!!!!!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
check the transmission fluid when the car is running

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude.. You need to adjust the TV cable or it is broken. It runs from the throttle to the transmission. It sounds like it is starting off in the wrong gear. All of this is due to that cable man! Have it checked out before it burns the trans out! Also; make sure it is full on fluid, and DO NOT over fill it. After you have driven it for a while, stop on level ground, put it in park, and check the dipstick. check it many times, and go by the low side of the stick. It may read up there on one side but low on the other, and if this is the case it is low. The fluid should show full on both sides of the stick. When changing the filter, there is a grommet type seal that goes up in the valve body, and they are very hard to change without the proper tool to do it with. A common mistake is some people think the old one is out and put the other one in, and have two in it. This will cause all kinds of problems. If that seal gets damaged it will suck air and cause the trans to give problems. Good Luck!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First gear is slipping. This indicates that the first gear clutch pack is burnt out or otherwise worn. It will require the transmission to be removed, dis-assembled and the clutch pack replaced. Most transmission rebuilders will not just replace one item, they will rebuild the entire transmission with new clutches, seals and gaskets. It will cost about $700. If you choose to replace the torque convertor at this time, add another $100.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts