Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get the steering/hub assembly to line back up into the strut. Driver side-03 Impala. This is the second time doing this, first time not a major issue. Hub needs to come down 1 1/2 to 2". Axle seated fully into tranny, left loose in the hub. Please some advice, Thanks

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I cannot get the steering/hub assembly to line back up into the strut. Driver side-03 Impala. This is the second time doing this, first time not a major issue. Hub needs to come down 1 1/2 to 2". Axle seated fully into tranny, left loose in the hub. Please some advice, Thanks
Loosen the 3 bolts holding the upper strut mount in the shock tower. (In the engine compartment.) This is to give you some play to lean the strut out at its bottom end.

With the strut leaning out and the steering knuckle leaning out, you should be able to line up the bottom holes. A drift pin (10-12" long) is very handy here. May be worth a trip to the tool store. If necessary, insert a pry bar on the control arm to pull the knuckle down a little bit.

Once you get the drift pin started, hammer it in a bit to draw the holes into alignment. This forms a sort of knee joint (strut=upper leg, knuckle=lower leg). Push the knee in until the upper holes line up, then hammer in the upper bolt. (Just hammer it in far enough to get the nut started.)

Once the upper bolt is in, then hammer out the drift pin and hammer in the lower bolt.

Before tightening the bolts, rotate the heads so somebody can get a wrench on them, for next time :)

Re-tighten the bolts under the hood.

HTH.
Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Will be trying this if and when it cools off. Might have to wait until AM. Too old and too damn hot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plano Doug; Thank you for that idea, it allowed me to get both strut bolts almost all the way through. I finished this AM with a c-clamp for the final push through. Much appreciated. The tranny side boot is slightly distorted, but can address that when the weather cools. Test drove, no issues. God Bless America.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Plano Doug; Thank you for that idea, it allowed me to get both strut bolts almost all the way through. I finished this AM with a c-clamp for the final push through. Much appreciated. The tranny side boot is slightly distorted, but can address that when the weather cools. Test drove, no issues. God Bless America.
Glad to hear you got 'er done :)

For future reference, just use the nut to pull it all the way thru.

Doug

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Fwiw, on stubborn ones when having problems lining up the knuckle/strut, I use a pry bar inserted into a hole in the lower control arm to persuade, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts