Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sams Club has a one day sale on Nov. 9th with $100 off four tires and also $60 off installation. Per the leaked ad, it looks like only Goodyear and Pirelli qualify. I had been looking at General for the tires I need to get before I am driving on totally bald tires in the snow. However, $160 off of four, is tough to pass up.
I drive mostly normal to easy on my cars, need four season as I cannot afford two sets of tire just to have snow tires specific for winter.
Any suggestions or reviews?
My tires are 225 -55 R17s

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Pirelli hands down. No more goodyear tires here. Sams has been running great deals on tires that sometimes are not advertised, often hard to beat their deals. The pirelli's I put on our impala came from sams, we saved $140 on the set with instant savings, off their already good price.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I had the same predicament and chose the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires. I also got them at Sams back in August when they had a sale for $80 off 4 and free install. Best price anywhere.

I love these tires, makes the car feel completely different, even the wife noticed how quiet and stable the car felt after having them installed. These are my new favorite tires.

They are rated as second best grand touring tire on Tire Rack and I can see why. Excellent tire

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd take a set of Pirelli tires over Goodyears any day of the week. My 2011 Impala LT came from the factory with Goodyears on it and they were crap. I got the car from my parents in 2014 with 15,000 miles on it and those tires were squirrely above 70mph and downright frightening on wet pavement. All I can say is thank God for traction control. Three years ago, got a set of Michelin Premiers from Costco and the improvement in handling and traction was unbelievable. It was like driving a different car. Three years and 40,000 miles later, they're still doing great. I have no doubt a set of Pirellis would deliver a comparable experience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I am down to Pirelli Cinturato P7, Goodyear Weatherready, maybe BF Goodrich Advantage A/S (if they are included in the Sams deal, the advertisement show pictures of four brands , but only mention Goodyear and Pirelli).
The Pirelli has an extra 10k miles on the warranty and the only negative on Tirerack.com is that it is only fair on wet roads (which they clearly rate higher than my current tires).
Tirerack staff rates all three pretty good (among tires available at Sams Club for my car) and the user reviews are good too.

Leaning toward Pirelli if I can get an advance on Christmas from my Mom.
If I have to pay for the tires out my current budget then I am thinking the crappy LS2s may be the way to go (4 tires installed for like $340, as opposed to $500).

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
All OEM tires are crap regardless of brand
Depends, some trucks and suvs come with quality michelins from the factory and some cars come with quality tires from the factory. The goodyear tires that came on the 12 impala's I can tell you are absolute garbage. The goodyear 8 ply tires I shelled out nearly $200 a piece for on my 3/4 ton truck were also garbage and wore out way too prematurely. Last set of goodyears I will ever own is the set on our durango which was the exact same tires it had on it when we bought it new, they are about to be replaced by a set of nexen roadians.

The sams deal is also on Michelin tires, I would go with pirelli or michelins, I will never buy another set of goodyear tires. Overpriced, and they do not care what their customers think, nor do they stand behind what they produce.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would avoid Pirelli like the plague. I only got 23000 miles out of a set of PZero Nero's All 4 were worn down to 2/32 from new in a matter of months. This is with regular driving. I'm sure other Pirelli tires are better, but I would avoid the PZero Nero tires. They are garbage.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I wouldn't dismiss a whole brand of tire especially ones that have tires rated highly, just because you had some bad experiences with a few of their tires.
I had some BF Goodrich Long Trail tires and they sucked. Wore out in less than 15,000 miles on my 02 truck. I swore I wouldn't buy any more BFG again. I then got another truck, 15 Sierra, and ended up putting some BFG KO2s on it (again bought from Sams for a hell of a good price when they were letting you get the discount on KO2s which they don't now) and I love these tires.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Factory tires can be hit or miss. I have had a few that were very good like Michelin lattitudes, Goodyear wrangler fortitiude and the only Firestones I was happy with 710 model. All had good wear and traction. Replacement tires should be a case of do your homework which the OP is doing.

Pat

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I wouldn't dismiss a whole brand of tire especially ones that have tires rated highly, just because you had some bad experiences with a few of their tires.
Agree to some extent. Unfortunately my experience with goodyear was not just with the tires but with their customer service. Their answer to the issues I had with the tires on our impala that we bought new were that the goodyear eagle tires were a "performance tire" and being that they were they had NO warranty. Goodyear reps both at their call in line as well as their local stores were pretty well with the attitude they could care less about the issue. There were other issues with the eagles, they slipped way too easy, were not good in the rain.

You don't typically buy a brand spanking new car with the idea that the tires will wear out inside 3 years and have inner wall separation that could potentially cause an accident. I could stick my fingers inside the outer rubber of these tires, they still had plenty of tread left. My wife is the primary driver in our car and she takes my kids places in the car. I need to know the tires are not going to have bulges and separate without any warning and potentially cause her to wreck.

Have had pretty good luck with uniroyal and michelin. Have pirelli tires from sams on the car now, they have an 80,000 mile warranty. They ride very smooth, car with approaching 180 thousand miles rides as smooth as it did the day we drove it off the lot new.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yep sometimes you get some bad tires. That's why I mentioned the BFG Long Trails. Others had good experiences with them but I did not and hated them. Luckily I gave them another chance and am now happy with the KO2s from BFG.
I was surprised that out of the 12 Pirelli tires Sams sells for our Impala, only 4 of them had treadwear warranty on them.
I guess I was one of the few that thought the stock Firestone Firehawk GT tires were pretty decent. That's why I was kind of shocked when we put the 60,000 mile Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires on them and it rode so smooth and feels so stable. Rides better than it ever did. Won't go back to Firestone Firehawk's after I experienced a much better tire.
My wife mainly drives the Impala and I feel good knowing that she has some new excellent tires on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,541 Posts
When my mother passed my father's car on to me it had Michelin's that lasted eons . When I finally had to replace them I had to go to cheaper brands, but I do have Goodyear snow tires I run for 4 months of the year going on 8 years now. I can't trash a manufacturer totally , they all have good and bad models , finding which one is the trick .

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I hope you ordered your tires by now. Usually when I get tires from Sams they have to be ordered and shipped to the store.

·
Super Moderator
10,541 Posts
I have my snows on their own rims and change them myself.
Winters here in the Greater Vancouver Area are the mildest in Canada , so I only run them on the rear although it's recommended to do all 4.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope you ordered your tires by now. Usually when I get tires from Sams they have to be ordered and shipped to the store.
I have been wondering about that. I was calling Sams today to see if I have to have them installed on Nov 9th to get the discount or if I just have to purchase everything on Nov 9th to get the one day sale price.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would think the latter...?
Called Sams and they confirmed you pay and order on the sale date, then wait until they have your tires and have time to install them. I don't think Sams does alignments, so I am probably looking to shell out some more $ soon after I get the tires. I don't want to jack up new tires with a wobbly front end.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts