Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the only vehicle Pimp My Ride didn't totally screw up. :yahoo:

1965 Chevy Impala SS, 6.6l Duramax Diesel v8!

We knew it was only a matter of time before diesel-powered musclecars became a reality. We caught up with the crew from MTV's Pimp My Ride while they were putting the finishing touches on the Bio Rocket, an 800hp, Duramax-powered, '65 Impala SS. The Impala was a good candidate for this swap due to its large size, full frame, and heavy (for a car) curb weight. The Duramax swap was more straightforward than you might have guessed, with custom engine mounts welded onto the stock engine crossmember and a custom transmission mount being the only major fabricating that was done to fit the engine.

The car retained a stock firewall, but a custom transmission tunnel had to be built to clear the Allison 1000 transmission. The frame was also reinforced to handle the massive amount of torque the diesel would produce, and a fully built Currie 9-inch rearend with boxed control arms was added to ensure quick times at the dragstrip rather than broken parts.

For the front, a set of big-block springs gave the Impala just the right stance. A Duramax LBZ engine was then acquired from General Motors and fitted with a custom intercooler, a dual CP3 pump setup from PPE, a Garrett GT4094R turbo kit, a Hot+2 Xcelerator tuner from PPE, and a custom 4-inch single exhaust. A Stage 5 Allison transmission kit from PPE with an ATS converter made the transmission ready to handle big power and torque.

To get the engine running, an ECM was supplied by GM and wired into the Impala. Signals from the custom dash were reinterpreted through special programming, and working in harmony with the PPE Hot+2, send all the right signals to work with the engine-management and transmission computers. Not quite a standalone system yet, but it's close.

Sure it has all the right parts, but does it go? The answer is yes. For MTV's show, the Pimp My Ride crew raced the Impala (albeit on drag slicks) against a 12.2-second Lamborghini Gallardo, and the Impala pulled away like the Lambo driver had his car in Reverse. Being almost half the weight of some of the newer Duramax trucks, the 622 rear-wheel-horsepower, 1,280 rear-wheel-torque Impala has a claimed 0-60-mph time of 3.5 seconds and does the quarter-mile in 11.5 seconds. So not only is it fast, but this classic musclecar also has a diesel's reliability-not to mention three times the power and four times the torque of the old 327ci gas engine. It's simply icing on the cake that the Bio Rocket should get more than 20 mpg-try that with a big-block. We're jealous that we didn't do it first, but it looks as though diesel musclecars are making the jump from dreams to reality.

Read more: 1965 Chevy Impala SS Duramax - Diesel Power Magazine

[ame=http://www.streetfire.net/video/pimp-my-ride-chevrolet-impala-ss-65-earth-day-spe_642991.htm]
[/ame]pimp my ride chevrolet impala ss 65 (earth day spe

Attachments

Reactions: donmateo

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
So that's where that race video came from... I saw that the first time a few years ago. Funny though, all that work, and it's not any faster than Dwayne's car.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That is one of the sexiest impalas I've ever seen, no doubt.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Damn, that's amazing. Beautiful car and can definitely appreciate the work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts