Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience replacing the exterior pillar trim? On my 9th gen the clear coat has begun to peel and I'm looking for some replacements and how to replace them. i thought they were just applied with 3m and if they are then they're on there pretty good but they seem screwed on or something. Any info is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
My dad's 2015 is having the same issue on all the pillars. The last time I looked at, it appeared to just be held in place with screws.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks are they just behind the rubber door linings?? Mine come in monday but I'm not sure how to get them off lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks are they just behind the rubber door linings?? Mine come in monday but I'm not sure how to get them off lol.

I know it's been a year but did you ever figure it out?

I did not, i bought some black 3m stick on ones and i hate the shit out of them. They're not even polished black, its like a weird faded black but i just couldn't ever find the part number or anything else online. If you're able to find some id like to know where you get them! Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did not, i bought some black 3m stick on ones and i hate the shit out of them. They're not even polished black, its like a weird faded black but i just couldn't ever find the part number or anything else online. If you're able to find some id like to know where you get them! Good luck!

My dad's have gotten so bad. All of them have like 20% clear on them. I had found the part numbers as posted. Will be ordering those for him soon. I may have them wrapped with x-pel paint protection film.

·
Registered
41 Posts
On my 8th gen, I removed the pillar trim, cleaned them and painted them with black Rust-Oleum truck bed coating spray. The finish is slightly textured, which hides fingerprints. I think they look pretty good, and they hold up well. If you want shiny glossy black, this is not the product for you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just recently recovered my account and I'm so glad that I ran into this post. Thank you so much for those 2 links. I have the same issue, they're fading and look patchy on all sides. The idea I had was to have them matte wrapped, but I see now that is definitely cheaper to replace them with a brand new one. Hope whenever I get the next ones they last longer, it just had to be where we close the door by lol.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Has anyone waxed them with the car? My son bought a 2005 LaCrosse with them peeling a few yrs ago. It bugged him and never did anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone waxed them with the car? My son bought a 2005 LaCrosse with them peeling a few yrs ago. It bugged him and never did anything.

Sure they can be waxed. If they are already too far gone then it won't help. the clear coat on these are just not good.

I am thinking to PPF the replacements once I order them to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have been sealing ours with the same sealant I used on the rest of the paint, Blackfire Wet Diamond. I haven't had any issues with that trim. Now they are coated in ceramic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wax my 2015 Impala twice a year with Nu-Finish, including the black trim. It looks just as good as it did the day I bought it. I've use Nu-Finish for well over 20 years on 4 cars and 5 pickups.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Driving down a country road yesterday my passenger front door pillar trim just flew off lol. Going to a local salvage yard to pop some off another 07 impala. Maybe buy an ebay 3m piano black kit to stick on them? Looks like metal clips holding it on similar to clips you would find on a dashboard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts