Impala Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Our local sheriffs department is switching over to those, and wsp has a few here too. Ugly as hell, but I'd still love to get behind the wheel of one.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I think they look sick as F in all black

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Paint it however you want, it still looks like a Hyundai to me.

Reactions: Stratman66

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
The caprice ppv?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Speaking of Plano, I was just east of there in Allen the other day, and saw a new Allen police car that I couldn't identify. It sorta looked like a cross between a gen8 Impy and a CTS. And it had a vent on the front fender. Later, looking on the web, I concluded it's the Aussie import Caprice.

This pic appears to be what I saw. It has the vent like the one I saw.

Doug

Yeah had to be the Caprice PPV aka Holden Commedore made in Australia.

Back on topic, I was never a fan of the charger wheels, but they look damn good on yours being all black. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Back on topic, I was never a fan of the charger wheels, but they look damn good on yours being all black. :eek:k3:
I recently went looking for some replacement wheels for my son's 02 Impala (after he hit a curb and killed two tires and wheels).

Looking back, if someone can get a good deal on four matching wheels that fit and look halfway decent, that's a good thing.

And, in the case of the Dodge wheels, I really like them. So many of the aftermarket wheels disappoint me. The open frame design with the toothpick spokes does nothing for me. I haven't really seen any I like. (Why doesn't Cragar still make the slots I had on my pickup back in 78?) So if I can get junkyard wheels that look decent, even if they're not stock - or worse, from a competing brand
- I'm happy.

Doug

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Scotty, yes the caprice ppv.

Doug, why on earth would you want slotted mags? Do you enjoy the sensation of driving on washboard roads?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Doug, why on earth would you want slotted mags? Do you enjoy the sensation of driving on washboard roads?
They looked really good on my 74 F100
That said, the super cheap tires I was running were awful! I doubt the wheels made much difference in handling versus those cheap tires.

I can't recall the brand - Maurauders maybe? Fleetwoods?

Doug

·
Registered
455 Posts
Nice wheels. It looks like your old 9C1s were actually 7th gen 16s, not the newer 18s, no?
On 2012 and 2013 Impala's the police models use 17 inch steel rims. On 2006-2011 Impala's the police models use the previous 7th generation 16 inch steel rims. Therefore the police Impala's with 16 inch steel rims will use the previous 7th generation 2000-2005 factory bolt-on wheel covers. Something about the valve stem changed so the 8th generation factory wheel covers won't work.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That may be the case, but the 17" steelies are pretty much impossible to find. That is what I started off looking for but couldn't find any.
I found a website that sells them. Problem is they are $110 each or a set is $480 plus taxes and possibly shipping. The only good thing is the 3 holes used to hold on the police center cap are already there, not 100% sure but for that price they should be. Credit goes to SCFR which posted where to find them on a similar thread. Is there that much of a difference between using the factory 16 inch rims as opposed to factory 17 inch rims? Looks wise they look almost identical.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/merch...gory_Code=2557

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Wait... you pay $40 extra for a set?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You would think... I guess thats no more expensive than most aftermarket wheels, but still a lot for steelies...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Is there that much of a difference between using the factory 16 inch rims as opposed to factory 17 inch rims? Looks wise they look almost identical.
Well, a lower profile sidewall (50 vs 60 series) and wider wheel (7.5" vs 6.5") will dramatically improve handling. At least that hubcapheaven site has pics & GM part numbers! Now that we have part numbers, GMPD has the 17" (9598749) for $94. It is tempting to switch back to 17s...

I really like the look of the Charger wheels, the dish makes the car look very aggressive, they have just a tad too much offset and even with a fender roll they still rub. I think I will go down to a 235/45/18 in the rear to see if that fixes my rubbing.

Adam

·
Registered
45 Posts
They looks awesome ! Great job man, I need to do that too... one day...

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Mixedimpala04 has chrysler 300 wheels on his 7th gen, no reported issues there either.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts