Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 9C1 for about a month now, and I wanted a way to improve the looks and handling while still keeping the "police car" look. I decided to get the Charger police issue 18" black steelies.

The set I got came with the polished "moon" center caps, but I prefer the original Chevy center caps. So, before I had the tires mounted I drilled and tapped the Mopar wheels so I would be able to bolt the Chevy caps to it after they were mounted. This was a bit tricky since the Mopar wheels have a curve right where the bolts needed to go, but we got it done. I went with a smaller 1/4 bolt (with a washer) to give myself some wiggle room when mounting the caps.

I decided on 245/45/18's since they are the same overall diameter as the original 225/60/16's.

Before:

After:

I know the pics are crappy, I will try to get some better ones soon. I like the look, but the wheels are a tad wider than I was expecting. If you look from the top of the fenders, the wheels are flush or just narrower than the fender. However, due to the curve in the Impala body, from the front and rear they look a tad wide. I'll live with it for a few weeks and then decide if I need to change the wheels to something else. I am not finding many options in 18" black steelies.

Adam

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
^^^ What he said! :eek:k3:

Adam just to be clear...

You're not a cop. Right..? :dunno:

I don't wanna freak out when I see ya ridin' behind or to the side of me... :yahoo:

Hell, we've almost got enough people in Plano to have us a meet... :mob:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Looks great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ What he said! :eek:k3:

Adam just to be clear...

You're not a cop. Right..? :dunno:

I don't wanna freak out when I see ya ridin' behind or to the side of me... :yahoo:

Hell, we've almost got enough people in Plano to have us a meet... :mob:
hehe... no, I'm not. However, I want the car to look as much like a cop car as possible. This is my daily driver to go 50mi round trip to work with, and having people in traffic think I'm a cop makes the drive MUCH easier ;)

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
Looks way better, I want Charger police my self.... not sure why those tires looks bigger then 245/45, more like 245/50 or even 55.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
these fit a 7 th gen? Should be the same, just curious...

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
Does look more beefier. I like. Most charger wheels offsets are wider. I believe its +27 offset. Mine stick out aswell but makes the car sit more flush imo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks way better, I want Charger police my self.... not sure why those tires looks bigger then 245/45, more like 245/50 or even 55.
You had me wondering the same thing. I knew what I ordered but hadn't looked at the sidewall to make sure they put the right tires on ;) I just double checked and they are in-fact 245/45. I was considering doing 235/45 but I doubt that would have made a noticeable difference. When I've done 18s in the past on my Grand Prix's I used 245/40 but those cars were lowered and I was worried it would leave too much fender gap on the cop car.

Nice wheels. It looks like your old 9C1s were actually 7th gen 16s, not the newer 18s, no?
AFAIK even the 8th gen 9C1 only uses the same 16s... Even the Chevy documentation only lists the 16s.

these fit a 7 th gen? Should be the same, just curious...
They should. 7th and 8th gen are both 5x115.

Do you get tire rub in the back when hitting a bump?
YES! I've never had tire rub in a w-body that wasn't lowered so that was a surprise. I did a quick fender roll and it made it better but I need to take the wheels off to get it completely rolled. I need to replace the parking brake shoes so I figured I would do a better roll at the same time.

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
I thought so. Did a fender rub and got a small spacer bcuz mine rubbed on the brake caliper. I recommend 235/45/18s for the front and 225/45/18s in the rear. I get no tire rub.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Those look amazing!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
hehe... no, I'm not. However, I want the car to look as much like a cop car as possible. This is my daily driver to go 50mi round trip to work with, and having people in traffic think I'm a cop makes the drive MUCH easier ;)
The wheels look great. I just hope the cops don't think that your car looks too much like a police cruiser and pull you over. There are videos on youtube of this happening.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have passed or been passed by many State Troopers and local PDs and they usually wave or do nothing. There is nothing illegal about having a car that simply "looks like" a cop car. I'm even rocking a DARE license plate frame ;)

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
The wheels look great. I just hope the cops don't think that your car looks too much like a police cruiser and pull you over. There are videos on youtube of this happening.
I have passed or been passed by many State Troopers and local PDs and they usually wave or do nothing. There is nothing illegal about having a car that simply "looks like" a cop car. I'm even rocking a DARE license plate frame ;)
Plus 90% of the cops in Plano drive Tahoes.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Although, Plano had at least one Impala:

...two if you count mine :devil:
Speaking of Plano, I was just east of there in Allen the other day, and saw a new Allen police car that I couldn't identify. It sorta looked like a cross between a gen8 Impy and a CTS. And it had a vent on the front fender. Later, looking on the web, I concluded it's the Aussie import Caprice.

This pic appears to be what I saw. It has the vent like the one I saw.

Doug

1 - 20 of 54 Posts