Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
M1 oils tend to be thin for their weight range, I suspect that part of the "fuel economy" goal of this oil is specifically being very thin. The M1 oils have shown to be mediocre in LT1s and the LT1 has shown to also prefer oils that are thick 30weight to thin 40wt.

I have no proof of how this oil works in this motor BUT given what I know about other M1 products and the LT1. I would not be trying this. I don't think you will do any harm but I am even more sure you wont do any good beyond a basic cheap store brand 5w-30.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you're going for a 3K OCI, any API SM rated oil will be fine. With that being said the M1 0w30 isn't that bad actually, but for LT1s, Castrol Syntec, Made in Germany (specifically states on the bottle) 0w30 is where it's at.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
wish i could find some 0w30 for tha lt1!!!! damn small towns!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
im runnin right now royal purple 5w20, it's pretty thin, think i might use that german oil next, i'll have to check around and see if anyone has it in stock.

·
Registered
828 Posts
No, I'm not kidding, I'm up for learning!

I checked out that site - lots of stuff but...

where do that have proof that any particular oil is better than another?

Not trying to be smart ass, just trying to find the truth.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
What proof does anyone have that any particular oil is better than another?
You deserve a pat on the back for this. The overwhelming majority of idiots just rely on marketting for the oil "information" needs. The person who actually wants measured data is quite rare.

I just want to say too that the marketing "tests" like ball bearing scaring and such are complete bull, bleach will do well in those tests, I wont put it in a crankcase though :eek:. Used Oil Analysis is the only meaningful test we have.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You deserve a pat on the back for this...
thanks

I'm 52, and who knows how much time I have left. My Grandma made it to a month before her 101st birthday, a friend I used to work with died last week.

As you get older, you pick your battles more carefully, 'cause you only have so much time and energy.

When I was younger, if you can beleive this, I would actually try to argue with those religious people who come to the door giving away magazines. What an idiot! Did I think I was gonna win?

So nowadays, I try to live a little differently, and there's a great saying I heard lately that goes "just because someone throws you the ball doesn't mean you have to catch it".

I'm not good at it, but I'm trying.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the information. From what I understand is, using Castrol Vs. Mobil 1 is just as good? So it would not hurt to use Castrol on my next oil change? Castrol is a cheaper price by the way. Which filter should I use? I have been using M1-201. Is there any better?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone ever used Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy?
I have a 1994 Impala SS BBB
Doc,
I've only used the Mobile 1 one time and didn't see any performance or mpg gains, all major brands of oils are good products. I have settled on Valvoline 10w/30w SYNpower full synthetic oil, my car has 150k on it and I switched from petrolium oil about 8000 miles ago (two oil changes). I have no HP numbers but can tell by the seat of my pants that my car definateley picked up power. As for efficiency I can give you measured numbers, my car picked up about 14% in fuel mileage (from 20.1 mpg to 22.9 mpg). On the dyno I have't had any luck with the specialty oils such as Red Line or Royal Purple in the testing that I performed on high performance street type engines (Engine Masters)

....Dale

1 - 14 of 14 Posts