Impala Forums banner

Which Michelin Tire would you go with?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for replacing the tires on a 06 LS? Looking for All Season tires with good handling , comfortable ride, good traction in rain and snow and quiet at all speeds. Car has 44k with Goodyears. Thanx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These tires get great reviews and are reasonably priced for Impalas

I am going to have these installed next week.

Details: General Altimax HP 225/60 R16 98H BSW

* Stock Level: >40
* All season tiresAll season tires
* UTQG: 440-A-A
* Treadlife Warranty: 55,000 miles
* Test results
o Tirestest.com
* Speedindex H: the tire's speed capacity is up to 130 mph/210 km/h !
* S (Standard Load)
* We only supply the tire. If there is a rim shown in the picture, it is for display purposes only.
* The picture serves only representation purposes
* Search for Installer
* Tires-Easy Road Hazard Coverage for only $9.73/tire ($38.92 total with four tire purchase) possible

Add to cart with Road Hazard
Buy now with Road Hazard

The Altimax HP is General Tire's Grand Touring All-Season tire member of their Altimax family of flagship tires. The Altimax HP was developed to address the many challenges faced by today’s performance sedan and coupe drivers. The Altimax HP is designed to combine reliability, comfort, and tread life, as well as year-round traction, including in light snow.

The Altimax HP features a Twin Cushion Silica Tread Compound that places a high-density, all-season top compound for year-round traction and long wear above a low-density foundation compound that absorbs road vibrations to provide a comfortable ride. The tread compound is molded into a directional tread design featuring sweeping, high-angle tread grooves that are sized using sound wave suppression to reduce road noise for a quiet ride. Twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon stabilize the tread area for good handling, while a polyester cord body enhances ride quality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Altimax HP's are susceptible to sidewall blowouts.

Bought four V rated Altimax HP's.

Two of the four blew out their sidewalls within 1000 miles.

Other then the sidewall problem this is a pretty good performance tire.
Get the V-rated version as it has stiffer sidewalls for less squirm.
The V-rated is only a few bucks more than the H-rated tire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time for tires again. I went with Falkens and initially loved them but them suck in snow and wore really fast. I am considering these Nokian tires, has anyone tried an All Season High Performance tire (including snow) that they love for the Impala?

Nokian WRG2

They are Consumer Reports top rated performance winter tire right now.

Nokian WR G2 information from Consumer Reports

BMW OWNER

New wheels/Nokian WR G2 review - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

SUBARU

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nokian-wr-g2-35k-review-123948.html?t=123948

VOLVO

Nokian WRG2 Tires - they work - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

SNOWTIRE.COM

The Snow Tire FAQ Forums - Reviews of Nokian WR G2

I CAN'T FIND ONE BAD REVIEW!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go to a Belle Tire or Tire Discount store and ask them about Michelins. Just my humble opinion. They are best for my 07SS.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
AGREE with MICH07SS^^^^^.

With the exception of dedicated winter tires, Michelin has, by far, the best balance of handling, ride, tread life, and reliability. That does not come cheap admittedly. However, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus' on my 09 SS and the Michelins on my old Cadilliac keep me from looking at any other brand. Winter shoes, that's a different story. Michelin does not have the best dedicated snow tires and I went elsewhere when getting tires for my 16" winter rims (Nokian Hakaplillitas).

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I really like the Pirelli P4, not necessarily a "performance" tire, but speed rated and has excellent grip. Beats the hydroedge, at least the ones we had before, don't know much about these green x ones you guys mentioned. Plus the pirelli's are cheaper, and have a 99k warranty. So far, they seem to do well in all weather conditions, certainly the best wet handling tire we've tried.

·
Registered
142 Posts
guys went on tire rack today , and they rated #1 continental all season performance tire/ best in our 18" factory size..i also think seen some of them on mercedes ,from factory.. i noticed they were cheaper than the michelins.. has anyone had them ? comments ?

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
guys went on tire rack today , and they rated #1 continental all season performance tire/ best in our 18" factory size..i also think seen some of them on mercedes ,from factory.. i noticed they were cheaper than the michelins.. has anyone had them ? comments ?
Been rated that way for a while. Contis are VERY good, but I don't care what the ratings say, not as smooth or quiet. I have a friend with Contis on the 18 LTZ rims (on an LTZ). Maybe they handle better, who knows. All I do know is I have never had a problem with a Michelin tire. Can't go wrong with the Contis or Michelins, but my personal preference is clear.

I will also dislose that I don't pay for tires (long story) , but even if I did, I would still go with Michelins. And, it also shows that money being no object at all, I chose what I did. If money is an object, Contis are a great choice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is hard to fault Michelins as mentioned above. My cars usually end up with Michelins eventually. My 07 SS has a new set of Pilot A/S Plus tires. The car rides/handles a lot better and the noise level dropped. I know GM had a contract with Goodyear or something for years but they would have done a lot better selling cars with Michelins.

And I pay for my tires, but I don't want to buy them often. Tires are too important to screw up. Four small patches of rubber are the only thing that is between your car and the road. I'm going with Michelin Pilot PS2 ZPs for my 08 Corvette. Quite surprising is that the Michelins are actually cheaper then the OEM Goodyears for the Vette and SS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went with Goodyear Triple Treads, as per Gov. contract, and I am very impressed with snow and rain performance. Dry weather performance and handling is also good, but road noise is slightly up. Overall, they seem to be a good choice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Went with the Goodyear Eagle GTs at about $180 each. Much better than the OEM Goodyear RSAs, which seem to be way overrated for $260 each. The GTs do much better than the RSAs in what little snow and ice we've had thus far.

Really wanted to try the Continental Extreme DWS series - but there were none to be found, and the factory said production wasn't starting up until this month, which meant likely not in stores until mid-February.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like Hankooks H727s. Very quiet, great in snow. Also its a 100,000 mile tire. Improved the ride of my vehicle alot and will definitly buy them again. Was very impressed with them. Reasonably priced as well. tirerack.com has high ratings as well

I have learned that tires, like oil, or filters, or anythingelse is one of those personnal preference things and all depends what you are looking for. If it wasnt there would only be one kind of tire for everyone. Buy what looks good to you and what your looking for. Hankooks is what I like for my own reasons and the other guys like their brands for their reasons. Nobody is wrong or right, its just what we like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts