Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into upgrading my tranny with a Transpak from b&m to upgrade with, a local shop uses some different brand with a blue box and a guy on it i think. i would like to have an opinion on if the transpak kit is the way to go, i've used it on my th350 with astounding performance results and would just like to know if this is a positive path for me to take.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You would be very hard pressed to find somebody worth while, who prefers the B$M over the trans go, for the 4L60E.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
You think you could tell us what you are putting it in? JHC !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, its a 4l60e, ive been looking into the transpak over the transgo or any other brand, just didnt know if anyone has ever put one in and if it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As Cory stated - Go with the Trango Kit, and look into the corvette servo swap/install you will be very happy

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Just about ever genuinely good 4L60E builder uses the Transgo, a few put together their own combinations of parts.

I am unaware of anyone good ever saying a single good thing about B&M in a 4L60E.

You are going to make a lot of big mistakes if you think just because a company had good products for much older stuff they have good products for this car. It is simply not the case, many of them sell current products on name recognition alone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is why I come here to ask. I haven't modified this car to the degree some have on here. Not an expert on these cars and its parts.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Put it this way, the Edelbrock intake has shown in some testing to possibly HURT power slightly. Their LT4 heads/cam/intake/TB setup makes less flywheel HP than a good ported GM LT1 heads, custom cam UNPORTED GM intake setup makes. Edelbrock made good stuff for old carbed vehicles, by the time the LT1 came along though there was much less room for improvement on OEM parts and many of the old school companies did not step up to the challenge, they just slapped something together halfassed to take people's money.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
That is why I come here to ask. I haven't modified this car to the degree some have on here. Not an expert on these cars and its parts.
Try searching for things , hell, even Google some question's and it will point to these site's...don't just ask, RESEARCH ! I know it's a lost art for you young people but you'd be surprised what you can learn by actually doing some 'leg work' on your own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats why im asking some people on this site, im "researching" and doing some "leg work" by asking people with.the same kind of car. But I see its more of be a jerk to a couple of questions rather than giving an opinion, because googling has led me here. But thanks to the folks that have helped me in the right direction. Wont ask anymore. No need to "bother" everyone with stupid "research" type questions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Gutwrench don't take it the wrong way... There is no emotion when reading text on a computer. We are here to help, noone was disrespecting you. Sometimes people take someone's reply the wrong way, I've done so myself.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
And there are people that just come across through text as being jerks. There are a few people like that that I know of. It's kind of annoying because they all seem to be condescending until you realize that about them.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
there are definitely a number of people here with "bitter old man" syndrome

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I have been accused of the "grumpy old man" thing a number of times, even by folks who know me personally and know how old I am, which is a whole lot younger than you would think.

It just gets very old being asked questions then the answers being ignored or argued by folks less successful. I have said it before and will again, my opinions differ from popular but so do my results, maybe there is something to that.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I think your sig line should speak for itself, but people still tend to think they got it right... I picture you being mid 50's or so, and REALLY anal. Am I far off?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think your sig line should speak for itself, but people still tend to think they got it right... I picture you being mid 50's or so, and REALLY anal. Am I far off?
HAHAHA.... Yes.... I don't think Dwayne is all that much older than I am. I'm 24. He's also rather laid back, much like myself... but the same damn questions, and people just don't listen... Really makes it so you stop giving a shit how you come off, or how through things get answered.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
HAHAHA.... Yes.... I don't think Dwayne is all that much older than I am. I'm 24. He's also rather laid back, much like myself... but the same damn questions, and people just don't listen... Really makes it so you stop giving a shit how you come off, or how through things get answered.
Cory is MUCH closer. I will say this much Carter was President the year I was born.
Not terribly anal, some friends are shocked at how little I use a torque wrench(not on things like the intake), I have NEVER bought valve cover gaskets for the LT1 reuse the gaskets all the time, usually reuse the oilpan gasket too. I just do the things that really matter right.
Prioritizing is a BIG part of getting the most from your car budget. So many people buy something like skinnies at an easy $5-600 and then "save" $200 buying second rate heads and cam. My skinnies are the original Caprice alloy rims with the stock size rubber. A lot of guys want to spend $600+ on ignition "upgrades" I loctite the rotor screws on a stock opti with stock coil. The list goes on. Spend money where it will make the biggest difference.

I have upset a LOT of folks telling them they bought the wrong stuff. A number of them have later PM'd me to say "you were right about everything" .

As a moderator I am a lot nicer on this forum than I am on others, then again the quality of average poster on this forum is WELL above most other forums too so I have less cause to be rude.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
I totally get all that, and can even figure I would feel the same way if I was in your shoes. It just seems to me that ridiculing and mocking has become quite the sport around here sometimes. And I think a lot of the frustration could be avoided with a sticky called "Frequently Asked Questions - Answered - Please Read First Before Posting"...just my thought on the matter though.

I have been reading a lot though in anticipation of finally getting my first B-Body, and if it's any consolation to you, you and a couple others are the only opinions I would rather hear on most subjects!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Alright, The reason I sound grumpy toward's some of these guy's is that IF they had done just a little research they would have found the answer. Plus the one's that ask THE most 'unanswerable'...my car make's a noise...what could it be? questions without giving ANY info whatsoever....

I have learned alot about these car's by reading Dwayne's post's, and a few other guy's who I believe know what works'. I really don't care about diplomacy as long as the fact's are clear. I have been turning wrench's longer than most on here, but I don't claim to know it all on these newer car's, my 'learning' curve was on '50's-60's cars, plus I loved taking thing's apart anyway. Some of these new guy's don't seem to know the difference between a box-end & open-end wrench.....

End of rant....lol.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Wow Dwayne, that makes you no more than a couple years older than me, Reagan had just taken office. Anyway, I tend to view the overasked questions as a common sense issue. People should know to search for their issue before posting about it, but common sense is in short supply in the world...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts