Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my 2001 impala for just about a year now its a 3400 with about 197000km (122410miles)
As far as i know the car is all stock except it has aluminium rims (which i love)
Is there anything i can do to improve performance or h elp my car run better?
it runs awesome right now i just want to see if i can improve it more.
Since i have the base model i don't have a Tach i want to install one is there an easy way to do this? i dont mind installing it on my dash and i know my electrical.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
I want to learn some stuff so in the future i can help other people out.

Also i have some dents in my car on the rear left right above the wheel would using bondo and painting over it look good?

Thank you very much

--chrisL

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's been said many times, the only performance upgrade for the 3400 is the replace it with a 3800. What on earth do you need a tach for?

·
I'm Impy and I know it
190 Posts
So quick question, do all the Impala engines use the same transmission? For 8th gen.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Technically the same transmission, yes, but the ratios are different for different engines.

I don't know what a 3800 costs, I've never priced one. But I'd be willing to bet wanderson75 and 04detroitls can give you all the info you need.

·
I'm Impy and I know it
190 Posts
I'd rather stick a turbo on my 3.5. Realistically I could put together a turbo of my one or have Turbonetics design me one. Kind of at a juncture on deciding what I want to do ha.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
But why? You could have a 5.3 instead, a turbo on that I could better understand.

·
I'm Impy and I know it
190 Posts
Because I don't want a V8. I want to try and make my lil V6 go fast. And instead of of SS "Super Sport" I'm going to put "Sport" as my trim level. Put it in black letters where the Flex Fuel Badge went. Already took the badge off. Now I just need it to go fast haha.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Right, but once you're done spending thousands of dollars putting a turbo on your 3.5, it probably won't be much, if any faster than the 5.3. Just seems like a waste of money to me.

·
I'm Impy and I know it
190 Posts
I completely agree with that. But the power of the 5.3 isn't my goal haha. I just want my 3.5 faster. I'm not comparing the two engines.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Ok then.

·
I'm Impy and I know it
190 Posts
I couldn't find any SS for sale at the time and I needed a car quickly for work. I'd much rather have big brother.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well then youre better off holding out for one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts