Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I know there are forums about the pressure control Solenoid and I have read ALL of them and I do mean ALL. I have more of a dilemma then a question I guess. I went to a transmission shop to have them run all the test that were needed. After 2 1/2 hours of waiting They told me that the p1811 Max Adapt and long shift code came up. So like I thought the PCS. Then they told me that they were not sure if that would fix the problem and that they would need to take out the tranny which would cost 485 just to Look at it. Then a extra whatever to fix what the problem is. On the low end they told me 600 buck but on the high end 2500 for a rebuilt tranny. So I went home and called around to get other opinions. Took it to another shop and the guy told me if he replaced the PCS it wasn't a sure fix on the tranny and that I may have metal floating around in there which is what causes the PCS to get clogged up and cause the issue im having. So he said replacing it with a new one will just happen again and maybe work for all of 2 weeks if im lucky. Every other place was pushing a rebuilt tranny that I took it to after that. I finally got a guy that was very honest with me and said hey, If I were you I would replace the PCS because this a a common problem. Its not going to make your tranny run like new but it will fix the problem but in 6 months 1 year or 3 years from now the tranny could go out on you. He said that you car has done good for the mileage it has on it(150,000). I guess it all comes down to do I want to spend 600 or 1,500 on a 5,000 dollar car. Do I want to spend 600 dollars on something that may fix it for 1-3 years? :bang: Please help!:gaah:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
well $1500 is over double the cost of "fixing it", but you know it would be a guaranteed fix for the trans. What is the year, engine, model and miles? If you like the car, and want to keep it I would go for a rebuilt, IMO.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
With regular maintenance and upkeep, these engines can last 300k+. If the engine runs well I wouldn't trust a maybe fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I should just do a rebuild? The engine is fine as far as I know. I thought the tranny was too until this happen. I wish I knew if I put the 2500 bucks into it that I wont have anymore problems but I dont know and thats what scares me.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
If you fix the pcs and it fails, your out that money plus the cost of a rebuilt if you decide to keep it. With a bad trans, you won't get much over scrap value, Maybe $500 if your lucky. If you fix the trans with receipts for proof and the engine goes, you have a better chance of getting closet to what you have in it back out of it. Most people would rather rebuild a top end than a transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts