Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I haven't ask too many questions in awhile, but when I do ask they're usually legitimate questions...:eek:k3:...So now I haven't been reading through the forums, and I have yet to seek out information on what exactly DOES THE PCM CONTROL/MANAGE? So what does the "tuning" aspect do to the PCM. Also, whenever it comes to the point of reprogramming it, the PCM is "disabled" or taken apart from the car? So, in the meantime you are pretty much "car-less" for a short period of time...ANY AND ALL RESPONSES AND FEEDBACK ARE WELCOMED AND ENCOURAGED...:clap:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Start with telling us the year, make/model of your car. The answer is different for different years.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Start with telling us the year, make/model of your car. The answer is different for different years.
As well as the mods you currently have, and what you're planning on doing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My apologies sir's...1996 Chevy Impala SS...no major modifications done except maybe the flowmasters. Changed out the factory shocks for air shocks. About 125,000 miles on it (which is very inaccurate)...that's the whole thing that I am trying to fix...my electrical functions with my car...a couple of years ago my car just start to go possessed. My mileage would change every so often when I would start my car, for example, turned off it would show: 97,000; turn it on it would show: 97,250...without me even leaving my driveway...:dunno:...I took it to a "certified" car electronics and wiring mechanic...nothing major changed! Also, my interior dome light just stays the heck on WITH ALL THE DOORS CLOSED, AND I'M DRIVING! I figured a PCM tuning might be able to diagnose or fixed some of this problems. Or maybe it's not that at all...:dunno: (once again)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Let me start with the fact that you have a '96 and therefore it is a little more expensive to tune. You have several options and it will do a lot of good things for your car. Unfortunately, the PCM has nothing to do with the problems that you list.

- I would go through the underhood and underdash areas, find the ground connections, and clean them. Bad grounds can cause some of the problems that you list.
- The digital dashes were known to have a problem with two resistors becoming unsoldered. Do a search (this forum, the other forum, web) and you will find some specific repair instructions.
- Your dome light stays on because the circuit is grounded somewhere. Pull out each door switch and make sure that there is a wire hooked to it. The wire may have fallen off and is grounding inside the door frame. Verifiy that your dash dimmer is not turned all the way up until it clicks. Also verify that you feel a click when you turn the dimmer all the way up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me start with the fact that you have a '96 and therefore it is a little more expensive to tune. You have several options and it will do a lot of good things for your car. Unfortunately, the PCM has nothing to do with the problems that you list.

- I would go through the underhood and underdash areas, find the ground connections, and clean them. Bad grounds can cause some of the problems that you list.
- The digital dashes were known to have a problem with two resistors becoming unsoldered. Do a search (this forum, the other forum, web) and you will find some specific repair instructions.
- Your dome light stays on because the circuit is grounded somewhere. Pull out each door switch and make sure that there is a wire hooked to it. The wire may have fallen off and is grounding inside the door frame. Verifiy that your dash dimmer is not turned all the way up until it clicks. Also verify that you feel a click when you turn the dimmer all the way up.
You are the man! :clap:...Now that makes so much sense because I had gotten an aftermarket alarm installed on my car. A few weeks later the problems started occurring. I would've taken it back to the installer, but I'm way in Louisiana now :bang:...hopefully I can finally get that taken care of, it's been a pain...

And afterwards I will look into PCM/tuning...thanks again bro!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts