Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
The civilian cars with the 4.3L engine sometimes got a 7.5" axle. Any chance your car has that???

The LT1 cars and the police 4.3L cars got a 8.5" axle.

I am not sure what the deciding facor for 7.5" or 8.5" axle is in the 91-3 cars but those driveshafts should be compatible too so long as you get one for the right axle. Realistically you could probably go back even further.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Any LT1 b-body.
So all the 94-96 Roadmasters, Impalas and Caprice or Roadmaster wagons as well as any other 94-96 9C1(even with a L99) or a civilian Caprice sedan with the LT1.

Pretty likely you could use one from some of the 91-3 cars but I don't kow specific details to tell you to look at on those other than crawl under and if they have the same 8.5" axle you are dood to go.

Where are you? Maybe someone nearby upgraded to a performance driveshaft and has a stocker to get rid of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i called the salvages yards they tell me that i needed a car with the police pak. so im not sure what i need now.im located in indiana, evansville.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Technically the police cars and Impala did have the driveshaft balanced to a higher rpm, BUT that only comes into play if you are looking to do well into triple digit speeds. The construction of those driveshafts is the same as the civilian cars. The non-9C1/Impalas got a 108mph speed limiter so they did not get the high speed balance on the driveshaft. The 9C1 and Impala had speed ratings up to 147(depending on tires ordered) for the 9C1 and it was 154 for the Impala.

There is an Indiana Impala club, might look them up and see who is selling a stock shaft.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is wrong with your current driveshaft? if it's not bent into a pretzel you can take it to a spring/driveshaft place and say "make me one like this" and you'll get a nice shiny new one already balanced and painted. Not too much $$$, I had a custom driveshaft made for one of my projects for about $200 with a new slip yoke

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hit some black ice and ended up in a dutch.. messed my rearend and trans.. my driveshaft is bent.. i fixed everthing but the driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
u didnt even have the car for very long huh i remember when u first joined.... sucks man colorado has some wicked black ice to ......
but i think im gna try to take my caprice snowboarding next year in breckenridge colorado like 11,000 feet ( didnt mean to steal the thread simply saying up there the raods get bad ) and i jsut wanna do it w/ my caprice:biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts