Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna buy a cold air intake kit off eBay the cheap one that's like $30 cause I'm on a low budget. I was gonna get it off eBay but it's like $50 after shipping charges. So I wanted to c if there's a part # so I can get it through kragens instead n not have to wait too. It's the chrome intake kit that's like $28 ne help appreciated

·
Registered
303 Posts
First thing, you should state the year, make/model of your car. Even if you have the info posted in your "garage" profile, people aren't going to take the time to click through all that unless your problem REALLY interests them. I take it from the Ebay links that you have a '94-6 b-body with an LT1 or L99 engine.

The air intake kit that you are looking at will suck hot air from the under hood. You eliminate the slightly restrictive "first base" resonator and air filter box and dress it all up, but that's it. In other words, this is more flash than performance enhancement, but about $55 shipped isn't a lot of money. There is no way to tell the quality of the parts either.

If you pick up a cheap cone filter from your local auto parts chain store and stop by Home Depot/Lowes for some PVC piping, you can do the same thing for less but it won't look as pretty. If you really want a performance enhancement, spend more and get a K&N (or copy) with the enclosure for the air filter [so it doesn't suck hot air from under the hood] or save up for a RAISS type setup [blocks underhood air and adds a ran-air effect].

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a 96 ss impala. y would it suck hot air? i mean if i got a heat shield too it wouldnt do that right?

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you want to stay cheap and still get a good CAI, try this. Get this Filter Then Swiss cheese your stock air box, and do the PVC intake tube.

If you need help building a PVC intake tube, the instructions can be had by down loading the SS Handbook here.
SS handbook

All total you'll be out $20-25

·
Registered
303 Posts
i have a 96 ss impala. y would it suck hot air? i mean if i got a heat shield too it wouldnt do that right?
The filter has a "shield" [more for decoration] but there is nothing separating where the filter draw it's air from the rest of engine compartment. Do a web search for the full K&N kit with the "airbox" and a forum search for RAISS and see what I mean.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you want to stay cheap and still get a good CAI, try this. Get this Filter Then Swiss cheese your stock air box, and do the PVC intake tube.

If you need help building a PVC intake tube, the instructions can be had by down loading the SS Handbook here.
SS handbook

All total you'll be out $20-25
You can go fancier but this will get the job done. You will still draw some hot air from the engine [how much depending on where you put the larger hole [swiss cheese]. To minimize the hot air, you will still need to need to have a barrier like the K&N "airbox" or the RAISS.

FYI...
I was in Home Depot and they now have short sections (about 18") of PVC for sale in a rack in the plumbing section. You don't have to buy a 6' section.

Also, there is a convoluted dryer hose that you can use as a heat barrier for the pipe [not really needed] and dress up. It is not the mylar version of the cheap white plastic hose, but it solid metal with convolutions stamped into it.

I don't have the barrier installed and you feel the difference on warm days when the car warms up. I have a barrier but have to get a new [smaller] air filter to use it.

Here are some pics of my current setup. My setup is slightly different than the typical because my bro-in-law gave me this huge cone filter from his old F-150 setup. I had fabricate an adapter to make it fit, but everything else is somewhat typical. If you keep the stock airbox, you will want two 45 degree elbows to get the alignment right (like the SS handbook shows).

If you are taking off the "home plate" resonator, you will need a plug. You can use a hockey puck or a Grant horn button like I did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts