Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was driving my 2010 impala last night and called me and said the car was making a scraping noise. I went to where he had stopped at and thought maybe the brake linings had worn down. I drove the car home about 5 miles. This morning I pulled off the wheel and rotor and pieces of the parking brake lining started falling out on the ground. I removed the metal piece the lining goes on and took the car on a test ride. About a 1/4 mile into the test ride I hear clunk and then massive scraping. I went back home and removed the rotor again and I had forgot to remove the 2 metal ends that push the parking brake out. I removed both of them (the inside where the parking brake pads hit are badly scared now) and went on another ride. All seems good now. What would make the lining on the parking brake come apart? It was in about 25 small pieces. is this a problem with these cars? Will it be ok to drive with the parking brake pad removed until after christmas?

·
Registered
2013 Impala LT
599 Posts
I can't say for sure what causes the parking brake to come apart like that. But I can tell you the same thing happened to me. Mine actually happened in my driveway, (luckily) and it actually locked the rear wheel up. Anytime I would drive forward, the driver rear wheel would lock up. It would be fine in reverse. I took the rotor off and the parking brake pad fell out in two pieces. I just took the shoe off and called it good...tried installing a new one but couldn't get it back on. Some people say you can get it back on without taking the hub off, but I tried for a few hours and that didn't seem to be the case for me.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
My son was driving my 2010 impala last night and called me and said the car was making a scraping noise. I went to where he had stopped at and thought maybe the brake linings had worn down. I drove the car home about 5 miles. This morning I pulled off the wheel and rotor and pieces of the parking brake lining started falling out on the ground. I removed the metal piece the lining goes on and took the car on a test ride. About a 1/4 mile into the test ride I hear clunk and then massive scraping. I went back home and removed the rotor again and I had forgot to remove the 2 metal ends that push the parking brake out. I removed both of them (the inside where the parking brake pads hit are badly scared now) and went on another ride. All seems good now. What would make the lining on the parking brake come apart? It was in about 25 small pieces. is this a problem with these cars? Will it be ok to drive with the parking brake pad removed until after christmas?
Hi jso2378,

We are saddened to hear of this difficulty you and your son experienced with your brake lining. We understand how this may have been concerning, but are glad your Impala is driving fine now. However, please know we are only a private message away if we can assist in any way!

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't say for sure what causes the parking brake to come apart like that. But I can tell you the same thing happened to me. Mine actually happened in my driveway, (luckily) and it actually locked the rear wheel up. Anytime I would drive forward, the driver rear wheel would lock up. It would be fine in reverse. I took the rotor off and the parking brake pad fell out in two pieces. I just took the shoe off and called it good...tried installing a new one but couldn't get it back on. Some people say you can get it back on without taking the hub off, but I tried for a few hours and that didn't seem to be the case for me.
Yep, I had to use a hack saw to get the shoe off. I tried for about 10 minutes to slide it off so decided to saw it in half. Its kind of an odd thing to happen the lining coming off. I have never heard of that happening.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did they change the rear parking brake design at some point? Because I'm 99% sure on my 13 it just uses the disc for the rear brakes as the parking brake. I've replaced those brakes and think I'd have remembered seeing a drum in there.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Did they change the rear parking brake design at some point? Because I'm 99% sure on my 13 it just uses the disc for the rear brakes as the parking brake. I've replaced those brakes and think I'd have remembered seeing a drum in there.
Yes, they did change the parking brake design (not sure of the exact year though). Like you said, the newer 8th gens just use the regular brake pads for the parking brake.

So you're not going crazy. :)

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Phew.. Well I guess that's one less issue for me to worry about on mine.
On a side note, I wonder if there's a way for the people with earlier designs to convert to the newer version... I'm not very familiar with the way these systems work, so it may not be possible, and it probably wouldn't be very cost effective. However, if the brakes are causing issues when they fail, may as well change to a version that probably won't fail. I have a feeling that's why GM made the design change.

·
Registered
2013 Impala LT
599 Posts
I am thinking about taking the one off the other side so I don't have to worry about it failing.
I would certainly do that. I did it to mine when my other one failed. If my wheel would have locked up when going down the highway instead of my driveway, it could have been a very bad result. Another failure like that is not something I wanted to chance. You could also just replace them with new ones and change them out every few years. Again this seems like a lot of work...and if you never really use the parking brake...well who cares.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.