Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P0442- Small EVAP Leak Detected
Anybody actually take their vehicle in for a smoke test and successfully found their issue with this code?

I replaced all major components that usually fail and cause this code a few weeks ago, cleared the code with scanner and it would come back in about a week or two.

Just wondering if anyone else has also replaced the Vent Purge valve, solenoid, and gas cap but still have the code come back and what was the ultimate fix?(I also cleaned the heck out of the gas cap filler area)
:beer:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ultimate fix may well entail a smoke test of the evap system to locate a small leak.
Find shop with equipment/experience in this area.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
on my 2010 the evap canister within drivers rear quarter panel fixed my evap error code ( i don't know the number off the top of my head but you didn't reference the canister in your original post so i thought i would). the evap module on top of the motor did not resolve the issue initially.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im dealt with that on my 2012 LTZ. I changed the front 3 spark plugs and everything was fine, then I changed the rear 3 and got a rough idle and that P04442 error. I replaced the Vapor Canister Purge Valve / Solenoid with ACDELCO 12610560 and it came right back, so I cleared the codes again disconnected the battery and the code went away, but still have a rougher idle since changing the rear 3 plugs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ultimate fix may well entail a smoke test of the evap system to locate a small leak.
Find shop with equipment/experience in this area.
Yep that's what I'm thinking, I just wanted to check here first to see if anyone else has had the same luck that I've had with this pesky code.

on my 2010 the evap canister within drivers rear quarter panel fixed my evap error code ( i don't know the number off the top of my head but you didn't reference the canister in your original post so i thought i would). the evap module on top of the motor did not resolve the issue initially.
Yep I've replaced that evap canister too a few weeks ago along with the evap module on top of the motor, at the time of my post I couldn't think of the correct name. I think this is the third evap canister I've bought in the last 3 or 4 years trying to fix this issue LOL.

Im dealt with that on my 2012 LTZ. I changed the front 3 spark plugs and everything was fine, then I changed the rear 3 and got a rough idle and that P04442 error. I replaced the Vapor Canister Purge Valve / Solenoid with ACDELCO 12610560 and it came right back, so I cleared the codes again disconnected the battery and the code went away, but still have a rougher idle since changing the rear 3 plugs.
That's the same canister I bought a few weeks back. Kinda stumped, here. Don't really want to take it to a shop for a smoke test but that's looking like my only option unless anyone else has any other pointers on what could be causing it?

I was really wondering if anyone else had taken their car in for a smoke test for this particular code and what was the cause?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep that's what I'm thinking, I just wanted to check here first to see if anyone else has had the same luck that I've had with this pesky code.

Yep I've replaced that evap canister too a few weeks ago along with the evap module on top of the motor, at the time of my post I couldn't think of the correct name. I think this is the third evap canister I've bought in the last 3 or 4 years trying to fix this issue LOL.

That's the same canister I bought a few weeks back. Kinda stumped, here. Don't really want to take it to a shop for a smoke test but that's looking like my only option unless anyone else has any other pointers on what could be causing it?

I was really wondering if anyone else had taken their car in for a smoke test for this particular code and what was the cause?

Which engine do you have?

Only think I could think of is the gas cap, or a vacuum leak, after that hopefully its not some leak in the fuel tanks system. Maybe you would get some soapy water and spray it on the rubber tubes and see if you see any bubbling anywhere

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which engine do you have?

Only think I could think of is the gas cap, or a vacuum leak, after that hopefully its not some leak in the fuel tanks system. Maybe you would get some soapy water and spray it on the rubber tubes and see if you see any bubbling anywhere
It's the 3.5, I have an older 07' 8th gen.

I might give the soapy water in a spray bottle a try when it warms up a little outside. Kinda cool outside lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's the 3.5, I have an older 07' 8th gen.

I might give the soapy water in a spray bottle a try when it warms up a little outside. Kinda cool outside lol.
Spray bottle with water and spray areas. IF it's on the intake side a can of Carb cleaner will richen the idle and cause the engine to run faster.

If you lived around the 57110 I'd say come over and I have a smoke machine like new. Picked up @ pawn shop for $400 cash. Regularly $800 plus for that one on Mac Truck I believe it was. Checked that it worked before buying it last spring and haven't had chance to go through and check all my vehicles as I just want to make sure there's no leaks. Great tool from the videos I've watched by the way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts