Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well by my screen name you can tell I'm not a RM owner. But my dad is. Actually he wants to let my son use his 96 RM untill he can afford his own car. Good shape. Almost 98K on it. But keeps throwing a P0420 code. O2 sensor is ok so I guess it's the cat. Was considering gutting the cat and using an O2 simulator to kill the CEL. Anyone else doing this ???

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
On 96 and newer vehicles you will find that the gas mileage will suffer if you delete/gut the cat. Best thing is to bite the bullet and replace the cat.

Emulators do not always fool the PCM, especially the OBD-II systems.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Also just to add my .02

If you don't have the money available to replace a cat, also try this. The converter might just have some crud built up in it that's killing efficiency. That code indicates a general inefficiency.

Go for a drive where you will be able to drive for at least an hour at the speed limit. Turn on your AC, crank the fan and roll all the windows down. This will make the engine work harder and will thus get hotter. A hotter engine will (duh) produce hotter exhaust and will be hot enough to burn any extra crud out.

You'll burn a few gallons of unleaded but it's a lot cheaper than a cat and it worked on my car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also just to add my .02

If you don't have the money available to replace a cat, also try this. The converter might just have some crud built up in it that's killing efficiency. That code indicates a general inefficiency.

Go for a drive where you will be able to drive for at least an hour at the speed limit. Turn on your AC, crank the fan and roll all the windows down. This will make the engine work harder and will thus get hotter. A hotter engine will (duh) produce hotter exhaust and will be hot enough to burn any extra crud out.

You'll burn a few gallons of unleaded but it's a lot cheaper than a cat and it worked on my car!
Thanks. Been there done that. Gutted the cat last night and runs 1000% better and no codes. I'll probably end up putting in a new cat but not at this time.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Thanks. Been there done that. Gutted the cat last night and runs 1000% better and no codes. I'll probably end up putting in a new cat but not at this time.

Good deal. Several time we have found the cat/s to be coming apart, some so much they literally almost shut the car off from restriction. Sometimes gutting will work, sometimes it wont.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will generate a code soon. If you reset the PCM after gutting the cat then it will take a few drives for the PCM to detect that the cat is not doing its job.
Yep .. took about 20 minutes of driving :smile:. But, that's the only code now. This is actually my dad's car and he's letting my son use it for a while. Well probably either put a new cat in later or an O2 simlator. Not sure which yet. But it is driving MUCH better now.

·
Registered
557 Posts
wow you made money with this topic, not just being a cheap ass and hollowing the cat, but you made .04 cents. Dude, that's sweet

·
Super Moderator
3,936 Posts
A CEL set by a rear O2 will NOT affect performance or economy. Deleteing the cats(if functional) will NOT have any meaningful effect on performance or economy either. Your solution of hollowing a plugged one wont hurt anything unless you got caught by some freak chance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
A CEL set by a rear O2 will NOT affect performance or economy. Deleteing the cats(if functional) will NOT have any meaningful effect on performance or economy either. Your solution of hollowing a plugged one wont hurt anything unless you got caught by some freak chance.
Isn't that highly illegal...to gut a cat?

Serious question as I've never been required to pass any kind of e-check or inspection.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Isn't that highly illegal...to gut a cat?

Serious question as I've never been required to pass any kind of e-check or inspection.
Yes it is though if your vehicle is not in an emission testing state or county then the inspection places will not notice.

·
Super Moderator
3,936 Posts
illegal at the federal level even if your state has no inspection. Also done every day of the week in every state of the union.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts