Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my car, my knowledge of it is slightly limited. Sorry for back to back posts!

Running rich and misfiring in a cylinder told bro to get me a 02 sensor for bank 1 and spark plugs. Comes back with a universal Denso 02 sensor with no connector.... i had to cut the connector off old sensor and solder it into the universal and shrink wrap the lines, not a big deal just the first time I've seen a senor come this way.

Sensor heater scanner result:
Min limit -4.009
Max limit 2.179

Test value 5.208
(No idea what control was tested, test lacked identifiers under sensor heater; the other test had identifier but passed)

O2S11 fluctuating 0.440 - 0.480 volts

Denso recommends replacement for current voltage parameter.

IS THIS UNIT FAULTY OTB???
HOW CAN I TEST THIS?
BAD REPAIR JOB?

You think i could clean the old one up and throw it back in?

misfire is gone, pending rich code but not current.
never had issues with solder joints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on guys , what is this forum even for.

on 2nd o2 now, still running rich
MAF cleaned
new airfilter
fuel injector cleaners, looking to switch gas at empty tank for Italian tune.
battery unplugged multiple times for quick resets

Hot idle numbers

MAP
9.9 inHg
MAF .77 lb/min

STFT1 -10.0/-15.0
LTFT1 -10.0/-15.0

SHRTFT11 -7.0/-14/0

Alch Percent 47.1

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,506 Posts
P0172 = Bank 1 rich
P0053 = Bank 1 O2 Sensor 1 heater resistance not in spec

If the O2 sensor heater on Bank 1 Sensor 1 isn't working the sensor won't work properly. Bank 1 may not even be running rich but the O2 sensor on that bank is reading rich because it's not getting hot enough to light the sensor off.
Get out your multimeter, unplug Bank 1 O2 Sensor 1, measure the ohmage of the heater.
Four wire sensors will have two wires in the pigtail off the sensor that are the same color. These are usually connected to the heater coil inside the tip.
If the heater ohmage shows an open circuit the heater is smoked. Replace the sensor.
It should measure somewhere near 15Ω. This guy says Volts... he means ohms but he had a brain fart.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,506 Posts
There's a TSB about the ECM PCM freaking out about the Alcohol % and locking at an arbitrary percentage that has nothing to do with reality. This only pertains to various GM Flex Fuel vehicles. Flex Fuel vehicles have a 3 in the 8th position of the VIN.
Reset the alcohol percentage with your bi-directional diag tool. If you haven't been running E85 in the last 10 tanks, or ever, it shouldn't be returning a reading of 47.1%.

This will not fix your Bank 1 O2 Sensor 1 heater malfunction but you will not get her back to normal without resetting the alcohol %.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There's a TSB about the ECM PCM freaking out about the Alcohol % and locking at an arbitrary percentage that has nothing to do with reality. This only pertains to various GM Flex Fuel vehicles. Flex Fuel vehicles have a 3 in the 8th position of the VIN.
Reset the alcohol percentage with your bi-directional diag tool. If you haven't been running E85 in the last 10 tanks, or ever, it shouldn't be returning a reading of 47.1%.

This will not fix your Bank 1 O2 Sensor 1 heater malfunction but you will not get her back to normal without resetting the alcohol %.
Can't thank you enough for some, ANY advice, truthfully its my younger brothers car; trying to get the CEL off for an inspection. He doesn't own a haynes/chilton service manual the way i would and finding info on baseline sensor readings and alch percentages online is not so straightforward

Already switched out the previously mentioned old new denso o2 to a boshe one, no issues with it now; still running rich. Prior to the o2 Swap the alch percent was even higher.

Where we live in the northeast i've never seen flex fuel at the pump, at least i think but consider i never look for it. His car is a flex fuel engine

although has only even been filled with regular gas - octane 87

i just have a cheap live data scanner, it certainly clears normal codes but i'm unsure if its capable of resetting ECUS AND PCMS and other onboard computer mappings

no exhaust/vacuum leaks; was starting to suspect a clogged cat if it wasn't the MAP or MAF

This is the reader:

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,506 Posts
Code readers have their place but you're going to need a tool with a bit more horsepower to reset the alcohol %.
She won't run right til you talk to the ECM with the right tool.

I have a Tech2 and an Autel Maxsys.
The Maxsys is great but it's very expensive. Not something I'd recommend for the average Joe if they don't have a fair chunk of bread saved up to spend on this kind of tool.
A Tech2 clone may be worthwhile if you're working on a pre-2013 GM. It's a dealership level diag tool. Nothing it can't talk to in your car. The clones can still be had in the $350-$450 range once you factor in shipping but don't count on getting it quickly. That's a lotta bang for the buck.
I've heard varying things about other sub $500 tools capabilities. Decent bi-directional control of all the vehicle controllers gets harder to find below that price point.

If you know someone with a Snap On Verus or Autel or Tech2 hit em up for a quick reset. Might cost a few beers or steak dinner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts