Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6L LT Impala Flex Fuel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the impala world. I’ve solved some other code issues I’ve had with the help of this forum but my last particular issue seems to stand out and not be found in the threads anywhere that I can find.

Anyways; currently I’m faced with a P0137 CEL for o2 Sensor bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage. And following symptoms are if the code is present, upon trying to accelerate the car will fall flat on its face for a few seconds then wake up and slam you into the back rest. And if the code has been present regardless if I’ve cleared it or not, when I key off the ignition. The engine will maintain rpm briefly and then cough and sputter like it ran out of fuel, but my thinking on this is that there’s still Excess fuel in the cylinders on shutdown due to this code. Also side Note I’ve had other fuel trim related codes intermittently if I leave this p0137 code on long enough. Such as p0172,p0175, p2097. Even had p0442 come up once.
Upon reading I’ve found that others have remedied this issue by replacing the post cat sensor for the “front” cat converter.

now I’ve got a replacement for that sensor but my question is. Could this code cause my issue of the engine stumbling to a halt when the key is switched off and cause my intermittent lack of power on acceleration also?

curious to hear anybody’s thoughts on this goofy issue......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello, new to the impala world. I’ve solved some other code issues I’ve had with the help of this forum but my last particular issue seems to stand out and not be found in the threads anywhere that I can find.

Anyways; currently I’m faced with a P0137 CEL for o2 Sensor bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage. And following symptoms are if the code is present, upon trying to accelerate the car will fall flat on its face for a few seconds then wake up and slam you into the back rest. And if the code has been present regardless if I’ve cleared it or not, when I key off the ignition. The engine will maintain rpm briefly and then cough and sputter like it ran out of fuel, but my thinking on this is that there’s still Excess fuel in the cylinders on shutdown due to this code. Also side Note I’ve had other fuel trim related codes intermittently if I leave this p0137 code on long enough. Such as p0172,p0175, p2097. Even had p0442 come up once.
Upon reading I’ve found that others have remedied this issue by replacing the post cat sensor for the “front” cat converter.

now I’ve got a replacement for that sensor but my question is. Could this code cause my issue of the engine stumbling to a halt when the key is switched off and cause my intermittent lack of power on acceleration also?

curious to hear anybody’s thoughts on this goofy issue......
Note; the car is a 2013 Impala LT 3.6L flex fuel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To further update this thread for the people that may read it.I found a few exhaust leaks, one in particular was after the Bank2 Cat right at the flange next to the o2 Sensor bank2 sensor2.
Corrected this with make a gasket paper. lasted two days, priced out OE replacement then decided to double gasket this time & can report the codes have only come back once. except P0442 has now worked its way into permanent code status? from what ive read this could be simply a failed fuel cap, mine does feel kinda shot if i were to form an opinion on it. Going to try that next and will try to report back. as i get closer to resolving one issue on this car, another arises....now its an airbag light:mad:

·
Registered
432 Posts
My initial thought based on the continuous running and sputtering after shut-off is that you have a fuel injector that is leaking. This would explain some of the other codes you are getting as well. The potentially non-burnt fuel can also damage O2 sensors. Would also explain the sputtering when trying to accelerate (slightly flooded) and then it taking off when it actually is burning that fuel properly.

P0442 is never a fun code to try and figure out. Without having a bi-directional scan tool it makes it difficult to troubleshoot on your own. You can always throw parts at it (as most are fairly cheap) but it may be worth getting that diagnosed by someone with the right tools.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just another note....is your vehicle hesitant to start after fueling up? I feel like a evap purge solenoid could potentially explain all your codes as well. If you were to start replacing EVAP parts, I would start there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My initial thought based on the continuous running and sputtering after shut-off is that you have a fuel injector that is leaking. This would explain some of the other codes you are getting as well. The potentially non-burnt fuel can also damage O2 sensors. Would also explain the sputtering when trying to accelerate (slightly flooded) and then it taking off when it actually is burning that fuel properly.

P0442 is never a fun code to try and figure out. Without having a bi-directional scan tool it makes it difficult to troubleshoot on your own. You can always throw parts at it (as most are fairly cheap) but it may be worth getting that diagnosed by someone with the right tools.
Honestly never thought of the injectors maybe be leaking, is possible lots of miles on the car (220k mi). although the jerking and flooding do not happen at idle anymore. only time i can get the car to sputter a lil bit is when i come to a complete stop from hwy speeds 60+ mph. in terms of any kind of hard staring doesnt seem to be an issue other then first fire itll high idle at 1k rpm for 30 secs then idle down to the 600-700rpm, range.still waiting for a fuel cap if that doesnt permanently remedy the light then we're onto scan tools. although can report approx 5 days of normal car use and NO engine light to be spoken of.
i have narrowed down my airbag light to my passenger seat although and can clear the light as well by playing with the seatbelt >:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts