Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine light came on & I had it tested at Autozone showing a failure with the "Bank 1 Oxygen sensor". I was told it was located just pased the Catalytic converter. I could rent a special socket & change it myself.

Just wanted to make sure of the location and IF?... the Engine light would go off automatically when new part was replaced, barring any other problems of course.

One Note: I have a GMPP 100K warrenty $0. deductable. A dealer will cover the cost & installation of the sensors.....BUT! I would have to pay for a Diagnostic check for $85! up front. OMG WTF. I'm doing it myself for LESS than the Diagnostic check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone with any ideas???

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
yes its "behind" the engine. No special socket needed, you can USUALLY remove it w/ and open ended wrench, but unplug it first before loosening. If you have a 100k warranty, just take it in and have them replace it for you, the part is going to run you $100.00 anyway
http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2...Code=IR&Product_Code=SEN-O2E&Category_Code=IE
I know it says 98-03, but you have a series II engine, just call to double check, but the Impalas are a "year behind" the GPs, and most parts listed are GP related....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pay the $85.

What o2 sensor was it? Bank 1 Sensor one, bank 2 sensor one?

A Delco O2 sensor is going to cost you more than $85, plus you then have to go through the hassle of changing it yourself. Plus, in the event that the sensor is siezed in the pipe, or you strip the threads taking it out or putting it back in, then what?

Just my .02

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you help!

I bought a Bank 1 Oxygen sensor for $64.95 OEM brand. Install it Sat.

I will cancel my extended warrenty of $100K, $0 Deductable since my GMPP plan bites the big one. They make you pay for such idiotic services like an$85.00 Diagnostic check!!!!!!!!

Rubish!!!!

If it's broke CHEVY PAYS If you don't know what's wrong you hook it up & you pay for it. That's why I bought the warrenty in the first place.

I'm ok with it since I will recieve 1/4 of what I paid! $500+ will pay for some nice upgrades to the exauhst, K&N Filter, Performance chip & intake.

:cool: all the way to the bank!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would hang on to the extended warranty. What if your car needs a trans? I think anything under a hundred bucks is a good price to pay to get your car fixed, regardless. The shop I work at has a flexible labor rate, up to $118.95 an hour for advanced and diesel driveability.

FWIW: Most dealers are MINIMUM $85/per flat rate hour.

I don't think it's rubbish that you should have to pay to have your vehicle diagnosed. What do you do for a living? If someone asked you to do a large portion of your job for free, what would you say?

It all comes down to the warranty you bought. For a few dollars more, I would bet there is a zero deductible warranty available. Lots of warranty companies have it. We deal with GMPP at work, because if they sell a used Ford, and it has GMPP, they send it over to us. GMPP also tries to dictate to us the labor times to repair the vehicles.

Besides, not EVERYTHING is covered based under GMPP, there are other warranty companies the same way, they merely charge you to diagnose stuff because if they do not cover the failed component, why should they pay for the diagnosis?

Not sticking up for either side, just stating a few things that I've come across during my time at the dealer.

I bought a Bank 1 Oxygen sensor for $64.95 OEM brand. Install it Sat.

I will cancel my extended warrenty of $100K, $0 Deductable since my GMPP plan bites the big one. They make you pay for such idiotic services like an$85.00 Diagnostic check!!!!!!!!

Rubish!!!!

If it's broke CHEVY PAYS If you don't know what's wrong you hook it up & you pay for it. That's why I bought the warrenty in the first place.

I'm ok with it since I will recieve 1/4 of what I paid! $500+ will pay for some nice upgrades to the exauhst, K&N Filter, Performance chip & intake.

:cool: all the way to the bank!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.