Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 impala LT I want to buy a tune for I’ve been reading a lot on the benefits of the overkill and trifecta tune I am leaning more towards the overkill tune for its expandability over the trifecta tune.My question is, if I buy the hp tuner for 300. Bucks with 0 credits from Summit how many credits do I need to run the Overkill tune? Or do I need credits? I don’t understand what these credits really are. Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
As stated above, you will need (2) credits for a 2012 Impala. At least that was the case with the original MPVI hardware - not sure if the requirement has changed at all with the newer MPVI2 hardware (probably not though).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the reply.So two credits for the overkill tune, 150 for the tune from Overkill, 50 each per credit,100 bucks. then 300 for the HP tuner so 500. Bucks total that’s we’re I was unclear 2 credits for overkill’s tune one for ecm and one for tcm. Plus now you need to buy the Hp unit with extra credits priced per credit they don’t list anywhere that I could find on HP’s site with including 6 credits hence price is 300 bucks for unit no credits. Perfect!!! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
54 Posts
No. It is $300 for the HPT, with six credits. Then, you tune yoirself. If you do the Overkill, you will either send in your PCM to be done, or buy one already done, pay a core, return your PCM & get the core back. I will end up doing my own tuning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually it would cost me 550.00 to run Overkill’s tune with the Hp tuner as long as it’s still 150 for Overkill’s tune

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry. I had looked at it all wrong., and was also going off decade old memory...not a good combo! The HPT option is $400, then, yes. And, you should have a good understanding of what altering PCM parameters will do.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, the original MPVI used to come with 6 credits - but it was also way more than $300 from what I remember. Honestly, I like the new pricing scheme better - because with the old pricing scheme, you'd end up paying for 6 credits when you really only needed 2...

Now you just need to see if you can actually get ahold of overkill - and hopefully the price for the tune is about the same. :) That might be the hardest part.

For the newer Impalas, you don't send the computer to him anymore - you just send him the stock tune that you read from the car and then he sends you back the updated tune. You never have to physically touch any of the computers. Nice, simple procedure. The nice part about going the HPTuner route (instead of getting the non-HPTuner programmer hardware from overkill) is that you can view and modify the tune as well. It's also a great learning tool being able to review his tune. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys,That’s what sounded the best for me, but like you said getting ahold of will could be challenging LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts