Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very pleased to announce that the 80mm throttle body kit is now available from Overkill for the 2012-13 Impala (and 14-15 Impala Limited).

The stock throttle body is 72mm in size, and ported units on the market retain the 72mm size. This is a larger 80mm throttle body size, which is measured at the brass throttle plate, so it is a truly larger unit. The factory inlet on the intake manifold is 77mm as measured by WillP, and can be ported to 79.5mm to take full advantage of the throttle body size.

Throttle response is improved but mainly the improvement is upper rpm performance. In testing, it was very clear to hear the difference in the growl of the engine. Also, the whistling that the stock throttle body has at part throttle is removed, just an interesting note.

No tuning is required but if you have Overkill tuning through HPTuners or the Autocal handheld you can receive a no charge retune with this throttle body which includes throttle response enhancement.

Couple important notes:
-A JacFab spacer is required on 12-13 Impalas to clear the fuel lines, so I've made a combo kit on my website
-The 12-13 Impala kits come with an EVAP relocation kit. The solenoid is right next to the throttle body. You simply unbolt it, bolt on the nice aluminum adapter piece I include, and reconnect the solenoid with the included silicone tube. This again gives clearance for the larger throttle body.
-This larger throttle body has a 3.5" clamp area versus the factory 3" clamping area. If you have an Overkill intake, just select the free coupler in the drop down menu to retrofit.
-The plate to manifold uses the factory Oring to seal. The throttle body to plate requires silicone to seal. I include a small tube of silicone, an alcohol wipe to prep the surface, and a glove to get messy from spreading the silicone rather than your finger.

A product developed by and available exclusively from Overkill Motorsports!

:: Overkill Motorsports ::

$319 For the 12-13 Impala Kit or $489 Combo with JacFab Spacer

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That's awesome! I really want the upgraded TB for my car but I can't afford to send out my ECM for a new tune or to buy a new one and mail it. What is the cost for retuning a tune anyways?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome! I really want the upgraded TB for my car but I can't afford to send out my ECM for a new tune or to buy a new one and mail it. What is the cost for retuning a tune anyways?
No retuning required for the LFX 80mm unit here.

Will be testing the 3500-3900 throttle body upgrade I have in mind, see if it requires retuning, we may be ok. Retuning with HPTuners or Autocal is always no charge, flash retuning is $100 with shipping to program the module.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The obvious question is dyno results? Sounds like a great mod for the 3.6L screamer.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The obvious question is dyno results? Sounds like a great mod for the 3.6L screamer.
Unofficial testing by me on a 2015 LFX showed 8-10lbs-ft torque gain, on an unported intake manifold, with the 3.5" MAF upgrade and tuning inplace before/after.

I'll work on official dyno numbers with an appropriate volunteer!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Unofficial testing by me on a 2015 LFX showed 8-10lbs-ft torque gain, on an unported intake manifold, with the 3.5" MAF upgrade and tuning inplace before/after.

I'll work on official dyno numbers with an appropriate volunteer!
Unported is probably leaving a lot on the table as well - should be a pretty solid gain, and when combined with some other breathing mods a good piece of the puzzle for really uncorking the 3.6.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
No retuning required for the LFX 80mm unit here.

Will be testing the 3500-3900 throttle body upgrade I have in mind, see if it requires retuning, we may be ok. Retuning with HPTuners or Autocal is always no charge, flash retuning is $100 with shipping to program the module.

Ok. Thank you. Well I will keep in touch with you. If you need help or looking for a tester let me know. I have no issues and plan on purchasing HP tuners soon to help with stuff like this. Thank you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did the test fitting for Will, and was waiting to post about this, but since he has already I'll chime in. It's awesome. I Ported the intake to match the TB and installed the TB with the 3.5" MAF intake all at the same time. At first I thought there were some losses in the low end, but Will sent me some revised tunes and if feels much better now. Its honestly hard to tell just how much power I gained because I loose traction very easily now with my stock RSA's, but the car definitely has more go. And it has a nice deep growl with all the intake modifications. I recommend this to anyone along with the 3.5" intake.

Another great product from Overkill. Guys you need to support him and buy these products! The fact that we have so much support for a last gen family 4 door is AMAZING!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And a big thanks to Will P for being the guinea pig, providing some invaluable feedback on clearance issues, fitment issues etc so I could get these kits sorted out and ready to sell!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Will, Thanks, always nice to share feedback's and product experience's.

Today was the last dyno day of testing for the season (more on this later, on a another thread), Winter is at the door and dyno will resume in Spring 2016.

You can bet I will test the TB, the porting and a part of the retro fit intake kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts