Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an overheating problem with my impala where it would overheat in 5 minutes of driving. Went into the engine to remove the lower intake manifold realize it seems the gasket change to fel-pro was already done. Only thing I notice is that the engine had a lot of gunk do you know where it could of came from? Do you think my overheating problem could of came just from the radiator?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
good find wonder if it cracked when car overheated or before.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yikes! Better take a look at the heads while you're in there too, they may be cracked or warped as well.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Lower manifold will be fairly cheap from salvage, the heads you will need to find out if they are bad or not. And the block for that matter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a lower intake manifold on ebay should be coming in the next couple days. Went to work on the car today and found a piece was missing out the head. More money coming out my pocket.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Sounds and looks like it could turn into a money pit pretty quickly.
At some point ( you may already be there ) you have to make a decision to "pull the plug" on this motor, or the car. Not sure what it is as far as year, mileage, condition etc.
Might find a donor motor in a wreck someplace and transplant, otherwise, cut your losses and move on.

As King stated. You could get a set of heads, manifold, etc etc put it all back together and find the block pooched.
From the looks and sounds of things it's been pretty hot.

IMO that is

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I've been trying to decide I have been paying insurance still on the car for the last 5 months. Refurbished heads will cost me $170 each. Might be cheaper to part the car out then have the junk yard take the rest of the car. I bought the car for $1500 and it lasted 4 months. I have put $130 in brakes, 70 in egr, and it still needs a new wheel hub and front sway bar.

The car is a 2000 base model with 250,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
If it were me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, bye bye, it's been nice.

But

I don't know your financial situation so not sure what you can do.

Gonna be at least 1000.00 by the time you are done and you will still have a 1500.00 car

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
You chose wisely I think.

Good luck !!

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
WOW !

Excellent !

Now time to get something else.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Wow that was record fast , good for you :eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
30 minutes? Me thinks your asking price was a tad low... What's the next ride?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm looking for something for more of a family. Just finishing college and need something bigger than my 350Z. Maybe a Chevy Equinox

·
Registered
169 Posts
mines are cracked too... its cause i over torqued it when putting it back together for the gasket job. It's def not worth the trouble of getting new manifolds plus doing the teardown.. been driving it like this for 2+ years now cracks haven't gotten worse. heads are not made of aluminum so i dont think they are cracked. I dont really see how these cracks can cause your overheating.

·
Banned
97 Posts
That's what I've been trying to decide I have been paying insurance still on the car for the last 5 months. Refurbished heads will cost me $170 each. Might be cheaper to part the car out then have the junk yard take the rest of the car. I bought the car for $1500 and it lasted 4 months. I have put $130 in brakes, 70 in egr, and it still needs a new wheel hub and front sway bar.

The car is a 2000 base model with 250,000 miles.
Very expensive rental at 375 a month. but still cheaper then a car rental place they charge a little over 500 per month that is for a very small car too.

Parting it out could recover that money seriously you can get about 1,500 to about 2000 depending on the color of it

and depending on the area the scrap at the right place could net 1k or so

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
mines are cracked too... its cause i over torqued it when putting it back together for the gasket job. It's def not worth the trouble of getting new manifolds plus doing the teardown.. been driving it like this for 2+ years now cracks haven't gotten worse. heads are not made of aluminum so i dont think they are cracked. I dont really see how these cracks can cause your overheating.
What you have there is vastly different than the OP's problem. You cracked an outside portion that doesn't have any water jackets or oil passages, of course it isn't overheating. The OP has a big ass crack running right through everything. Honestly it frightens me a little that someone who doesn't understand that is tearing that far into an engine...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts