Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Ls that has been having strange overheating issues.
Heater does not work
Temperature gauge goes up from middle faster when in idle.
When the car has overheated, after I turn the engine off and take the key out, I notice that when i put the key back in and turn on my accessories the temperature guage smoothly raises up to about 3/4 of the way and then shoots to the red zone.
No leaks from what i can tell
I have changed the water pump and thermostat, the hoses are good and heads appear to be okay but i cant tell for sure only other option i can think of is heater core and dont know what to do next or if I should look into selling the car as money is very tight for me and i dont have much experience working on cars at all

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Your car’s engine is overheating because it is low on engine coolant. Have you verified that the system is full and has no air bubbles? Don’t just rely on the level on the coolant overflow reservoir. The heater does now work because the system is not full of coolant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your car’s engine is overheating because it is low on engine coolant. Have you verified that the system is full and has no air bubbles? Don’t just rely on the level on the coolant overflow reservoir. The heater does now work because the system is not full of coolant.
I test drove today after replacing thermostat and refilling coolant. I put almost two gallons in and still overheated. Car does not smoke when overheat btw

·
Registered
15 Posts
Being that you have no heat and you just serviced the cooling system and its overheating leads me to thinking you have an air pocket.

Put one of these on it, run the car make sure its not pegging in the red and overheating when you do this. The way it works is you fill the funnel with coolant and the air bubbles will escape out of the system as it replaces pockets with coolant. I bought one at advance auto parts and it worked great on the subaru I replaced a radiator on. After I did the radiator the temp just climbed until I bled the air out with this. Be sure to monitor the engine temp as you do this or you could overheat your engine and lock up the motor if this is not the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts