Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2003 3.4 impala. When I drive my car within the first 3-4 kilometres it overheats, than I pull over and shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes and it drives fine after that, no overheating issue. Put a new thermostat in it, but it still overheats.
This also happens on cold Canadian winter mornings.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2003 3.4 impala. When I drive my car within the first 3-4 kilometres it overheats, than I pull over and shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes and it drives fine after that, no overheating issue. Put a new thermostat in it, but it still overheats.
This also happens on cold Canadian winter mornings.
How is it overheating? Are you seeing the temp gauge reading too high? Any other symptoms?

When you see it doing this, are the radiator fans on? It may be you have a bad relay resulting in the fans being off when they should be on. This is more noticeable in stop-n-go traffic. At highway speeds, the fans aren't needed so much because of the air being pushed thru the radiator.

Another thought is a bad temp sending unit or bad wires coming from it. You can inspect the wires looking for a damaged spot. This requires removing the wires from the plastic loom. (And it can be a PITA to put it back in the loom.)

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it'll be fine for the first kilometre than the gauge creeps up and red lines and the car loses power, so I pull over and turn it off. There isn't any smoke or anything like that coming from the engine. The heater and air conditioner still work perfectly fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts