Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a lot on the highway a lot, so I spend a lot of time at about 80 or 90 mph. I find my rpms at or above 3500 when I'm doing that, which has always bothered me (here comes the embarrassing part) because I was wishing my car had overdrive. Turns out, I do have overdrive! I have never been past third gear, however, which makes me more upset than you can know. I know my transmission is slowly failing after 160kms, but I can't believe my overdrive would just go out of function! What do I have to do to get from third to fourth?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the check Engine light comes on for most of my highway trips, which I always assumed was due an unhappy trans or torque converter, but maybe the computer is recognizing the same problem I am?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Oh good god. These are 4 speed transmissions. The days of overdrive and that happy feeling are gone. It's not a 3 speed with OD, its a 4. That said, you aren't getting 4th, so check your fluid level. Your torque converter clutch will not engage at highway speeds when not in 4th gear (so while your light may be showing a TC fault, it won't engage regardless in 3rd.

Fluid level, filter quality, fluid colour.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
And get a overkill pcm. it will raise your trans four pressure giving it better shifts and longer life.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
had this happen on my buick regal 4th gear just went away the other gears worked like normal and of course higher rpm worse gas mileage. Had to have mine replaced with cert. GM trans, now if it blows the dealer warranty put it in for free. Mine died around 190,000 miles. Hope you have better luck than me getting 4th back. :eek:k3:

Get car scanned for the code to see what it is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the fluid is full of graphite, which means the filter is probably pure shit as well. I've been told by a friend of mine that I should leave the graphite in there because it changes the viscosity of the fluid, helping the clutches engage.

Then again, he wasn't a very good friend.

I try not to mess with my transmission toooooo much because I know it's right on the edge of losing all functionality, but do you suppose I oughtta flush the whole thing out, new filter and all?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
the fluid should be red sound like the 4th gear is totally gone that is way fluid looks black.
Check tranny shops in your area or tripledge performance for a tranny. I would leave this one alone DO Not change fluid might not work at all then. Call for prices before it strands you. Good luck

and Slap you friend.

Reactions: tjeick

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That ain't graphite, and it shouldn't be there, some friend... Also, it IS in fact an overdrive, any time the top gear is a higher ratio than 1:1 its an OD, these are 0.7:1 in 4th.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
That ain't graphite, and it shouldn't be there, some friend... Also, it IS in fact an overdrive, any time the top gear is a higher ratio than 1:1 its an OD, these are 0.7:1 in 4th.
Def isn't graphite but, in fact metal (steel) shavings. Your tranny is likely on its way out and wasn't taken care of. These transmissions should have a fluid/filter change at least every 40k miles or less. Anyone who tell's you different doesn't know these transmissions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a quote for $1750, I don't suppose I could do much better than that.

Should I do anything with the TC or just leave it as is?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Always replace the converter when rebuilding or replacing the transmission, also flush the cooler lines. If you don't, you are reintroducing all that crap into your new transmission.

·
Registered
432 Posts
the fluid should be red sound like the 4th gear is totally gone that is way fluid looks black.
Check tranny shops in your area or tripledge performance for a tranny. I would leave this one alone DO Not change fluid might not work at all then. Call for prices before it strands you. Good luck

and Slap you friend.
^^^This^^^

$1700 for a trans rebuild is way to much, you can get a Triple edge trans for that price installed maybe even less. Shop around call every place in your local yellow pages. Also ask around some people will let you know where to go and where not to. Then you can make your own decision on where you should go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts