Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife back into a mailbox and broke the tail light on her 0217 Impala,I order a new one today but I can not get the broken one out does anyone know how to remove the outer tail light on this car
? I have removed the 3 nuts but it does not want to pop out. it seems like it is attached to the bumper. Is there some clips some where?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think if you are talking about how another Impala was, The 3 you took off wasn't the only 3 on there. From what I remember, I think there is some under the carpet of 2 of the 3 that was first removed.

When I first took them off the car, I can't remember who's now, However I had them off like I would my own car and tried to remove the light. It didn't want to move. After looking behind the carpet there was 2 more that I had to take off before it came out.

Please forgive me if I am wrong as I have worked on a few more cars then I care to count lol. I would look under the carpet and see if there is any hidden ones to be removed. One was up high...

James

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you referring to the last or 9th generation 2014 non limited to present, then you have to drop the rear bumper cover to replace the tail lamp assembly.

Pat

·
Go Get It
15,095 Posts
If you referring to the last or 9th generation 2014 non limited to present, then you have to drop the rear bumper cover to replace the tail lamp assembly.

Pat
Correct. Dropping the rear bumper is actually quite easy. There are 2 10mm bolts at the front corners of the bumper cover (in the wheel well), as well as an assortment of push clips and screws along the wheel well and underneath. There may be 2 more screws behind small plastic covers under the trunk lid, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Once those are all removed, give the bumper a good pull from one of the wheel wells. It will start to pull loose. Then just work your way around, and the cover will come right off. Unplug any wiring as needed. Once the bumper cover is off, you can see the remaining fasteners holding the tail light in.

Reactions: Shorty68

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update for 2017 Impala tail light. Got the part from the dealer this morning, the parts guy was very helpful. Once I figure out the snap clips on the bumper fascia it was pretty easy from there.Took just a little over hr. Thanks to to the people on the here forum and thanks to the Chevy dealership in Wolcott NY

·
Registered
588 Posts
Glad you got it done. It was much newer then one I was posting about. Glad others knew about how to get it done and posted much better info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.