Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it usually runs great, but in hot weather it will just stall while it's running. It always starts back up...without cranking the engine. When it stalls, it is quiet, no back firing or sputtering...It just loses power, like it was just shut off. It doesn't constantly stall or stall everytime we drive it. We've had it looked at twice, but no answers ...any clues?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it lugs down and stalls when stopping after getting hot, then it very likely is the transmission torque converter solenoid sticking. The shifter probably says P R N D 2 1. If so it is a 3 speed auto Th125 transmission. After getting hot the torque converter solenoid will stick, keeping the converter applied and stalls the engine. Most of the time after the engine stops, the fluid pressure releases the solenoid and you can drive again until the next stop after reaching above 35 mph. If this sounds like your problem, then you need to replace the factory solenoid with an after market self cleaning one. It is in the side pan of the trans. We do the complete job here at my shop parts and labor for 250-300 dollars complete. The parts cost around 50-60 dollars including solenoid, gaskets and filter. Most shops should be a similar cost. I don't know if this is your problem, but I have repaired many many of this car with a similar complaint. Hope I helped you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts