Impala Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have experience with the Genisys series of scan tools? I have a ver 3.0 that keeps giving me a "Can't find scriptdata.dat file" error after doing a vehicle config. I've tried doing an update but it won't see the serial cable and bombs out under windows. COM port has been verified good and I'm using the correct cable. I can't find any leads on how the data is structured on the internal memory card or the Pathfinder card, any leads or clues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2004 Impala LS 3.8L (~130k miles)
344 Posts
Brhatweed, sorry cannot help in that regard. BUT it reminded me of something.....On S10 Forums, we just added a subforum on scan tools. Previously all the scan tool info was scattered about through various unrelated subforums....it was tough to find info consistently. Now all that info is in one place....might be a good idea for the Impala Forums as well. Could also have a separate subforum on tuners/tuning. Just some thoughts for consideration.....

· Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I tried it on XP32, Win2000 and NT4-SP6 with the same results. They will talk to com1 under my Motorola RSS without a problem so I'm thinking it's an issue with the OTC pendant or the cable. I don't have a pinout for the cable itself but might try doing the USB thing as the later versions support this.

· Registered
124 Posts
Be certain no other programs are running...anti virus ..mail ...pop up blocker..Have everything basically turned off..Don't reformat the card ever unless you meed a dog toy...Clean card gold connection points alcohol..Feel cable move it around may have a break... Reader could be flaky
Dust bunnies clean everything

· Registered
124 Posts
Linux has different devo's some have a utility to mount and read files... I don't know your I T skill so you could grab a linux devo and search the files on the CF card for a corruption... It's so long since l did that kind of work l was using Knoppix...which is an ancient devo... Now l have brain fog about doing those kind of recoverys.. To old to learn again lol

· Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it to do the update for ver 3.0 but I'm still having problems with a missing Script data.dat file and I'm coming up with nothing on the search bots. I was going to spring for the 5.0 update but I understand they don't do authorization codes since Bosch bought out OTC.

Might have to brute force this one, I'm the guy who makes the plastic body and panels for the $8500 Bosch OTC Robinair refrigerant recovery machine... all of them.

· Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately my programming experience is limited to the late 90s with HP UX, Sun Slowaris and IRIX 6.5.9 and I've only dabbled with LinUX. So far behind the learning curve I'm in the twilight zone of technology.
I can run thru the OBD-2 commands and work all the codes without the dat file so it will work for me.

· Registered
124 Posts
In the late 90's l used the knoppix. Live CD (linux) to mount and restore files on computers that were supposed to be dead .The live cd was great as most computers F8. F12 got you to the bois where you changed boot order to CD first and ran the live cd . mount the drive and dump the files on a thumb drive and then fix with microsoft commander
Now linux has commander type utilitys that offer the same...It's almost worth looking into again as for the reasons you have now...Spare time project as least Linux would help you make a copy of the Genisys software...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts