Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
:eek:k3:
Me LIKE too!

·
Registered
285 Posts
63 galaxie

I had a 63 Galaxie XL Convertible before I went into the Army in 1980. I gave it to my brother, and he basically sold it for nothing shortly there after.

Jeff

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 63 Galaxie XL Convertible before I went into the Army in 1980. I gave it to my brother, and he basically sold it for nothing shortly there after.

Jeff
Ouch, that may be grounds for a dis-owning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dis owning

Turns out I have to disown him. He did it for me and the entire family. Thats what addiction does for a person. Everyone loses in the end.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It happens

Thanks, unfortunately it happens, and even though he didn't speak to the family for 20 years and died mid 2012 at 51, I still didn't wish it on him. Some times people choose their own path and it is theirs to choose as it should be. Sometimes it hurts others, however I personally beleive that your life is yours, and barring mental health issues, it should be yours to decide if you want it or not. The government feels different. That is why it's illegal for a person to commit suicide. They will prosecute you if you survive. That means the government thinks they own you. Again, let me make it clear because you always have the fringe. I said barring mental illness, or temporary depression. If I am terminal and only have 6 months to live and don't want to suffer, let me say my goodbyes to my people and go out with dignity. Just some thoughts. And I am going live as long as I can within reason. However when it's over, it's over and nothing will change it. I think if there is one thing I like about life, it is this. You can be the richest, the most famous, you can be an ass ( like me ) you can be the most loved, you can have the most power, but death is the ultimate equalizer amongst humans and it will humble all. Yea the rich may gain a few days, months and maybe a year or so, however their money ultimately will not save them as it should be. Ok, too much beer tonight, which will shorten my life, but hey, no-one is getting out of here alive :beer: :giggle: :yahoo: :hope: :devil:

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
My Parents had a 1963 Galaxy 500 XL convertible with a 390. It was white with electric blue interior. Consul and buckets. It sounded pretty nice too. They bought it new and I was 10. It was cool and my friends thought I was cool when my mom used to drive me to school in it. They sold it/traded it in 1964 and bought a 1964 Buick Skylark convertible. Pale yellow with black interior. Had some hot-rod 300 ( +/-) inch V8. That was when I fell in love with the sound of a 4 bbl carb. ( heard it lots when mom was driving )
Dad hated it because it was an iron block with aluminum heads and he was constantly doing head gaskets on it. They sold it in 1966 after the 4th or 5th set. It would however go like hell.
Mom got a number of tix in it. I remember dad being really pissed off one night at the last one she got.
110 Mph in a 60 ! ( before we metrified ) Go mom !

P

·
Registered
285 Posts
63 xl

Mine had the 352 and of course the XL has the buckets and console etc. Mine also had a reverb in the trunk.

Jeff

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm a bit younger than the 60's generation muscle car scene, but 2 years ago, after owning her for 27 years, I sold my 1978 Trans AM to a friend, who has it in safe keeping. She was a 6.6 W-72 car, but I put a 455 engine in around 1985. The car was sold with the 455 and original engine, and all parts removed (emission) to the new owner.

She went cheap, but it was a friend, and a good home. I had some issues with one of my kids, and the car was best not at home. After a year, I did not really miss it, so sold it. Since I drive many miles/year, I opted for the Impala for cost/comfort, and went with the bigger engine when replacing my everyday car. It is no Trans Am, but I must say, I probably like this car (08-LT) probably more than many I have owned. We got the wife an LTZ shortly afterwards, and it is enjoyable as well.

Guess my muscle days are over, but the newer cars run just fine for me now. I have 2 motorcycles that offer the thrill of competition when needed to fulfill that need. Here are some Trans AM pictures, and the go fast toys.

I respect all those that keep the older models going. For me, The T/A was a ton of work just to keep up. It had mostly original paint, but could use a re-do. From 5 feet it was still nice, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The days when cars were different, one quick look and you knew what it was. So unlike the cookie-cutter, smooth riding, tame mannered cars of today. If gas was back to .50 cents a gallon, I'd trade my '96 in for my old '68 Firebird 400 in a heartbeat. I'd probably have a divorce on my hands also...:giggle:

·
Registered
126 Posts
The days when cars were different, one quick look and you knew what it was. So unlike the cookie-cutter, smooth riding, tame mannered cars of today. If gas was back to .50 cents a gallon, I'd trade my '96 in for my old '68 Firebird 400 in a heartbeat. I'd probably have a divorce on my hands also...:giggle:
No kidding about the fuel use. Everytime I took it to work (60 miles one way) I was amazed the cost of premium, and the rate it was consumed. Actually one of the reasons I finally let it go....it was not worth the worry to keep it up and cost vs. miles driven.

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
Mine had the 352 and of course the XL has the buckets and console etc. Mine also had a reverb in the trunk.

Jeff
Haha , in 1967 I put a reverb in my 63 Meteor (my first car) , it was so cool having a car with TWO speakers. This isn't my car but exactly like it.:yahoo:

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha , in 1967 I put a reverb in my 63 Meteor (my first car) , it was so cool having a car with TWO speakers. This isn't my car but exactly like it.:yahoo:

I like those taillights. Why can't automakers be creative like that anymore?

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
I like those taillights. Why can't automakers be creative like that anymore?
I agree , 50s and 60s cars were the coolest ever , todays cars are all crappy clones of each other :lamende:

·
Registered
285 Posts
trans am

Nice car guy. Too bad you sold it. And nice GSXR's. I am primarily Harley, however I like all bikes and have owned most brands, but since about 15, it's been mostly harleys. There was a K1100 RSA BMW, 1500 Goldwing, and some others. I came real close to buying a GSXR and an R1, but thought I would kill myself. Back to the trans am. I didn't really appreciate them back then. I liked them, just didn't want one. About 10 years ago I really started to want one, and almost bought one. Too bad you didn't keep it. And it sounds like your not that young. I am betting late 40's. Go get another TA

Jeff

1 - 20 of 29 Posts