Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought a nice 65 SS believed to have 72,000 original miles but I am questioning if this is the original drive train. It is a 327 300HP with a 350 turbo hydromatic tranny and a positraction rear. Was this combo available from the factory? All info I have read says that this tranny with posi rear was only available with a 396. The 327 automatic was the powerglide. It also has a Holley carb with electric choke. Does anyone know if my drive train combination was available? Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Hi,
I just bought a nice 65 SS believed to have 72,000 original miles but I am questioning if this is the original drive train. It is a 327 300HP with a 350 turbo hydromatic tranny and a positraction rear. Was this combo available from the factory? All info I have read says that this tranny with posi rear was only available with a 396. The 327 automatic was the powerglide. It also has a Holley carb with electric choke. Does anyone know if my drive train combination was available? Thanks, Ed
Per wikipedia, "The Turbo Hydra-matic 350 was first used in 1969 model cars."

That sounds right to me. My 66 Caprice (non-SS) had the 275HP 327 with Powerglide.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, in 1965 it was just called a turbo hydromatic which is what I have. Newly introduced in 1965 but was it available with a 327 300hp engine and positraction?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Sorry, in 1965 it was just called a turbo hydromatic which is what I have. Newly introduced in 1965 but was it available with a 327 300hp engine and positraction?
I found some vincard info for 65. (Link below.)

My take is that, prior to 69 (advent of the TH350 according to wiki), the term "turbo hydromatic" referred to the TH400.

Regardless, if you look on page 33 of the linked doc, for 1965, it appears the Powerglide was the only automatic offered (for any engine).

For 1966, page 35, a "Hydra-Matic" was offered, but only with the big block 396.

For 1967, page 37, they show a "Turbo Hydra-Matic" with the 327, apparently the first occurrence of any 3-speed automatic with a small block.

So, from this info, my take is that your Hydra-Matic, (regardless of whether it's a 350 or 400), was not offered that year and must have been retro-fitted into your 65.

HTH.
Doug

·
Registered
19 Posts
In 65 only 3 or 4 speed manuals, power glides, and Turbo 400 were available. My 68 Impala Custom is a 396, turbo 400, 12 bolt car. 65-68 had power glides but never 350 trans. 69 came out with 350 engines and trans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for everyone's input. Upon further review I have confirmed that my tranny is indeed a TH350. The engine code on the front of the block on the passenger side is FO7I6HC (THE DIGIT AFTER THE SEVEN IS THE LETTER I, NOT #1). Can anyone decode this? I cannot find a reference for the letter I. Also, there is no vin # next to this stamping as some other on line info said should be there. I was told the engine was a 327 300HP. Trying to confirm that and if this is the original engine. Because the tranny is a TH350 and the rear is posi-traction I have to conclude that they are not original. Everything functions as it should and this SS is very fast and handles great. Jury is out on the engine though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts