Impala Forums banner

Ordered Front & Rear Spash Guards

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Pat Currie 
#1 ·
So Far 4800 miles, no chips behind the wheels and GM having a sale on them, I figured what the hell.

I have been delighted with no black plastic on the body of our last Gen V6 LTs. I couldn't do a Premier because of the black plastic under the rear bumper after a year of taping off the black plastic on my 2018 Camaro before waxing. Why would I add the splash guards? I'm tired of going slow thru water and after with my clean ride.

Before my Camaros, 2013 & 2018 I had a 2008 Mustang. Before I took delivery I had the dealer add the rear splash guards. Mine was the only Mustang I saw in 7+ yrs with them.

I used to think the Impala splash guards were too chunky, especially the front ones. Hopefully I'll get used to them.

#6 ·
Looks great ABZS! I really dig the subtle notice of them. They are a bit too chunky of a design,

I dropped my Impala off at local body shop for paint & installing them last night. Should be ready by Friday. They said the pepperdust is a bitch to match so they needed the car to test & tweak color before applying. I would def screw it up.

#18 · (Edited)
Painted the splash guards today. So far they are looking nice. Held one of them in place on the car and looks like it belongs.
Now for the hard part. Waiting for the clear coat to set up for a few days before buffing.
Thus far I'm pleased with how they are turning out. We'll see how they look once buffed and installed.
The final measuring stick will be the 1K clear coat durability. Suspect they will need some repair in a few years.

The DIY painting positives.
Gain experience, skill, knowledge and capabilities for future projects.
Satisfaction of accomplishment.
Getting high on paint fumes (just kidding, outdoors mostly up breeze).
Savings $$$

DIY painting negatives.
Lower quality than professional.
Less durable 1K clear coat vs. the tougher 2K clear coat a professional would use.
(2K clear coat requires a respirator and goggles at the very least. Even if well ventilated. Otherwise permanent lung and eye damage is likely.)

Waiting for them to set up for a few days before buffing. This is the most difficult part of the project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.