Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Chevy Impala LT and I have followed the directions to program two new key remotes I purchased. However, there is no option to Relearn Key Remote in the Driver Information Center. Any ideas on how to get these key fobs programmed?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have a 2008 Chevy Impala LT and I have followed the directions to program two new key remotes I purchased. However, there is no option to Relearn Key Remote in the Driver Information Center. Any ideas on how to get these key fobs programmed?

This may be a really, really dumb question, but sometimes it's the simplest things.

Are you sure you're scrolling through the right menu on the DIC? It can get confusing, and as hatzie says it should be there in a 2008. It's there on mine.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's no such thing as a dumb question, lol. But yes, I have checked when I first tried to get the key fob programmed and the option to relearn the key is missing. It should be there, but it isn't.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hmm, well I came across this on my travels across teh interwebz... maybe it will help?

Keyless Re-program Instructions

To access this display, the vehicle must be in Park (P) with key in the on position (as far as you can go without cranking engine).Use the following steps to program your keyless remote:
-Press the trip odometer reset stem until RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays
-Press and hold the trip odometer reset stem for three seconds. The message REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE will display
-Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first keyless remote at the same time for approximately 15 seconds. A chime will sound indicating that the remote is programmed.
-To program additional remotes at this time repeat step 3. This vehicle can have a maximum of eight remotes programmed.
-To exit programming mode turn key off and remove key.
-Test remote.
Edit: I should mention that according to the source this is for 2006 to 2008 Impalas without the DIC option. If this doesn't work (I didn't know they made 2006 to 2008 Impalas like this) you might need a Tech 2. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got a cheap 250$ tech 2 from china. Works great ect. Does everything I need it to really. Cost 50$ at a dealership to program them, and it literally takes all of 5 minutes to program one. I just got a 07 Monte Carlo and programed my old fob to it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I got a cheap 250$ tech 2 from china. Works great ect. Does everything I need it to really. Cost 50$ at a dealership to program them, and it literally takes all of 5 minutes to program one. I just got a 07 Monte Carlo and programed my old fob to it.

I spent a bit more for a knockoff several years ago. It came with Can DI, all the adapters etc, GM SAAB & Holden cards and a nice case.

You can download Tech II BIN files and burn em with Memory Card Explorer on an XP laptop with a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot. If you need one I have a known good image of GM NAO v 33.004 Tech II 32meg Linear Flash card. If you have an 04 Pontiac GTO, Holden Monaro, you'll need the Holden Export BIN. I may be able to dig that one up too.

I have a very old HP NX7400 with a fresh bare bones XP SP2 install for this.
You can get ancient Dell D620/D630 or D820/D830 laptops on evilbay for between $50 & $150 depending on condition etc. Usually, they have an OEM COA sitcker on the bottom. You can get the Dell OEM XP OS repair CDs. Download the drivers on some other machine and do the thumb drive shuffle to get em to your Frankenstein laptop.
DO NOT EVER PUT AN XP MACHINE ON ANY NETWORK. I usually don't install the network interface drivers. You can still do XP activation on your smart phone just pick Phone Activation.
Dell still has the XP drivers available for download and the batteries are available from Amazon dirt cheap.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I spent a bit more for a knockoff several years ago. It came with Can DI, all the adapters etc, GM SAAB & Holden cards and a nice case.

You can download Tech II BIN files and burn em with Memory Card Explorer on an XP laptop with a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot. If you need one I have a known good image of GM NAO v 33.004 Tech II 32meg Linear Flash card. If you have an 04 Pontiac GTO, Holden Monaro, you'll need the Holden Export BIN. I may be able to dig that one up too.

I have a very old HP NX7400 with a fresh bare bones XP SP2 install for this.
You can get ancient Dell D620/D630 or D820/D830 laptops on evilbay for between $50 & $150 depending on condition etc. Usually, they have an OEM COA sitcker on the bottom. You can get the Dell OEM XP OS repair CDs. Download the drivers on some other machine and do the thumb drive shuffle to get em to your Frankenstein laptop.
DO NOT EVER PUT AN XP MACHINE ON ANY NETWORK. I usually don't install the network interface drivers. You can still do XP activation on your smart phone just pick Phone Activation.
Dell still has the XP drivers available for download and the batteries are available from Amazon dirt cheap.
Yes you are correct, around 250-300$ you get the TIS2000 disk to load and all the attachments to hook it up to OBD1, OBD2, Candu module, hook it up to update on computer but never tried that. I thought 91-13 GMs was perfect for the price and ease of use. I did notice that having laptop with the card slot and everything on it was pretty expensive.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I am on the right page on this and your Impala has OEM factory-installed keyless entry, you can probably do this yourself using something like the Dorman 99157 for about $50.00.

Starting in 2014, GM deleted the DIC programming option on the Impala Limited (the car I have). A forum member, Tesla, was kind enough to suggest the above item. It is listed as being for 2011-2013, but it worked nicely on my 2014. It may work on yours - no promises or guarantees. Do your homework.

A helpful hint, the programmer is somehow manufactured to only work three times and then it dies.

See the original thread which I posted:

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/1738210-coding-new-remote-entry-fob-to-2014-limited.html

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes you are correct, around 250-300$ you get the TIS2000 disk to load and all the attachments to hook it up to OBD1, OBD2, Candu module, hook it up to update on computer but never tried that. I thought 91-13 GMs was perfect for the price and ease of use. I did notice that having laptop with the card slot and everything on it was pretty expensive.

GM NAO 33.004 is the last update. Always good to have a spare linear flash card or two just in case. The ability to burn em is nice too.

You can buy an ancient laptop like the Dell D620, D620, D820, and D830 that have a real RS232 DB9 COM port and a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot for darn cheap on Evilbay.
They're usually less than $100 OS loaded with power adapters... like this GEM... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-D830-15-4-Notebook-Core-2-Duo-Windows-XP-Wifi-80GB-2GB-/263546365122?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

Batteries are cheap and even some of the Chinese batteries generally seem to work OK. Make sure to look at the RMA process for that specific vendor. Charge and discharge several times as soon as you get it to make sure it's willing to work. I bought an OMCreate brand for my HP and it seems to work fine.
https://www.amazon.com/OMCreate-Battery-Latitude-Precision-Warranty/dp/B00W4Z1J3G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522004360&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=OMCreate+Dell+D830

If the AC adapter isn't in great shape you can get a new AC adapter for around $10-$20 on Amazon.

XP works just fine as long as you don't connect it to the internet. As I said I moved files to My 2004 model HP NX7400 using a thumb drive.

You can program linear flash cards using Elan Systems Memory Card Explorer. Elan Systems is long long long gone. PM me if you need a clean virus free copy of MCE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts