Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Goodyear POS tires are driving me nuts. They're loud, handle poorly and suck in snow.

So, with that said I am looking into new tires. Interested to hear thoughts on the below options:

Michelin - Pilot® Sport A/S 3

Bridgestone - Turanza Serenity Plus

Want something nice and quiet that handles well in inclement weather.

Thank you in advance! :beer:

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ have done me well..

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my 2012 Impala and they handle nicely in this winter weather, there a vary quite tire too though I haven't had them on that long yet.

I use to run FireStone Firehawk wide oval AS tires on both my 97 Lumina and 2010 Impala, other then the noise they were the best tires I've ever had on a car. Though they were a performance all season tire they plowed though snow extremely well, going though the rain they were ok but turning hard on dry pavement it sounded like the hubs were about to separate. Otherwise if you did normal turning they weren't really noisy, they also loved VHT lol

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am looking at all tires lol The two listed are just the two highest rated available at Costco. I am just getting sick of the RSAs. :lol:

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Gotcha, well General and Continental are both under the Continental corporate umbrella, the biggest difference, realistically, is that the Contis are rated for 10K more miles, but are more expensive.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
@donmateo - I recently replaced two of my stock RS-As with Bridgestone Turanza w/Serenity Plus and even though I just replaced two so far (the back two), there was an immediate difference in sound level. I can't wait to replace the front two (will probably do that when I get my new wheels installed - I just don't like having two different types of tires on my car and the RS-As are complete crap anyway).

Even though I have lots of tread left on the two remaining RS-A's, I fully expect them to fail long before they wear out. I replaced the first two because one of the RS-As developed a bubble in them (which seems to be pretty common with these crap tires) which caused a slight vibration in the steering wheel at high speeds.

Although, I can't see paying Firestone to "dispose" of the two RS-A's when I replace them since there technically isn't anything wrong with them. I'll hand on to them - or maybe sell them on Craigslist or something. Since I paid for a full road-hazzard plan on the Bridgestones, I don't see ever needing the RS-As for any reason.

Thoughts on what to do with the still "good" RS-A's when I replace them?? Just seem crazy to pay someone to take my tires!!! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I loved my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus' on my SS. Would get them again in a heart beat. The car still had traction issues, but infinitely better with the Michelins over the crap stockers.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
The Pilot Sport AS/3s seem to be the top (or one of the top) tires in the segment. If it were me, I'd look at these three:

The Michelins, from what I've read will grip the best, and treat you well, but they're also the most expensive. The Continentals are a little cheaper, and have a higher treadwear rating (which I understand is a fairly subjective thing, that's a discussion for another time) and while they still grip well, are biased slightly more towards ride comfort than the Michelins. Lastly the Generals are by far the cheapest, but suffer from the lowest treadwear rating (albeit only by 20) and while they may not quite have the grip of the other two, I had a staggered set on the Camaro for a month or two, and while I could chirp upshifts if I tried, and spin in the wet with TC off, they offered plenty of acceleration and lateral grip for an all season in my opinion. One other thing to take into consideration, if you get a flat and are in desperate need of a tire, everyone carries the Generals. Walmart carries the Generals. Actually, looking on their site, they also have the Contis, and they're about the same price as the Generals, at about $146 a tire, at least online. They may have the Michelins too, but their site is awful so I'm not sure. More confused now?

·
Super Moderator
10,675 Posts
Michelins on my Cappy don't have good traction on wet roads but have lasted forever (only 2 of them left) about 12 years :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
not that my opinion matters much..........but before you buy ......you might check the cooper cs5 ultra touring.......they have worked great on dry, wet, ice and snow, possibly the best tires i have ever bought............I can't tell just how they will wear yet though .......

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Cooper Zeon summer tires on my '06 SS and have found them to be a very good balance between wet and dry traction (we have lots of rain in the Texas hill country at times), handling, and noise-or lack thereof...they are very quiet and ride very smoothly for a summer rated tire.
The General UHPs were also a very good tire on my '93 Lightning truck.
The Nittos I had before that were very good also...but...they were a bit noisy and produced a less smooth ride.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts