Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, you know the rest.

Since im not the smartest peanut in the turd, Id like to get some knowlegeable advice on which engine components to buy for my 68 custom. Ive got a wad of cash burnin' a hole in my pocket, but I want to spend it right.

Heres what I already have...

-350 block (3970010) freshened up and bored 30 over, blueprinted and balanced

-original 3 on the tree freshly rebuilt

-stock 350 heads w/3 angle valve job

-stock rear-end

-edelbrock perf. eps intake

I simply want the car to be a daily driver with balls. Fuel economy is important, but definately not my main focus. Ive been told by Summit sales/tech that the cam I should use has 420/442 lift (idle - 5500) and the carb should be 600 cfm. The reasoning for this is that its a heavy car and needs torque to get it moving. A few friends have said otherwise, therefore, I am very confused.

This is me, scratching my head...please help enlighten me.
Thanks-
Travis

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I would not go less than the 600 cfm carb for that engine setup. That engine an a three-on-the-tree tranny will not get the best gas mileage. Maybe 9-11 in town and up to 16 on the highway. But for a fun daily driver it should do fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look into one of Edelbrock's performance packages. Depeding on how much money you have burning a hole in your pocket, they have already done the work for you and have a pretty good estimate on HP numbers. Yeah a 3 on the tree isnt going to give you the best mileage, but it will be fun thats for sure! You can always pick you up an overdrive tranny later down the road if fuel economy becomes a big problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
motor

Hi.
Do you already have a 350 rebuilt and running? Or is it ready to be assembled?
Since I'm an old school kind of guy, this is what I might do. Depending on what pistons are in it and what heads you have, determine the compression ratio, hopefully its about 9to1 or so. Then I would select the camshaft GM used in a 69,70,71 Covettte motor that closely resembles your motor in compression. I would guess the base 350 motor, somewhere around 300hp. Use that cam and lifters, or one similar from any of the camshaft suppliers. The 600 cfm and performer manifold is fine. Mechanical secondaries are nice, I don't like vacuum operated ones.
Dump the three speed and put in a TH-350, or 4 speed floor shift if you really want some getup and go.
In my 68 convertible I used a 350 bored .060 with 194 heads, Corvette 350HP cam, headers, dual exhaust, tri-power, stock 3.07 axle and a TH-350. It had some nice zip.

Good luck,
John

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts