Impala Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
If your taillights are on then the side marker that melted in one case because the guy messed it up will be on.

And yes they have more power than that little side marker

That means they get hotter which if tinting it was a huge problem we who have tinted tails would all have melting problems because of the blackened lens which absorbs heat.

·
Registered
560 Posts
agreed ej! ive had mine tinted for over a year and no problems

·
Registered
560 Posts
but bout the head lights... my point is this.. i used plasti dipped on mine... it hasnt even bubled.. so paint aint gonna do anything... like i said i had lumen test done.. it only changed .01 from stock to plasti dipped.. not a big change.. and i use h i d bulbd that get hotter then halogens... still not a single problem for over 7 months... so if it was going to mess up it would have by now..

·
Banned
748 Posts
FYI how would painting the chrome bit as well melt anything ? You guys really think that the bulbs are made of cheap parts as well as the chrome bits? They are built to withstand heat else no one would build them. Even if chrome was painted, only portion of heat will be absorbed if black paint was such a good absorber and doing 100% absorption instead of insulation in the walls would builders not just use black paint and be done.

Everything radiates back what they absorb (and i am sure the shiny material is build to withdstand excessive heating) its the law of physics because to every action there is equal and opposite reaction (that is the reason why a vehicle moves ).

And if anyone worried about melting the glass check this out .

Melting Point of Glass

The quartz surrounding a halogen bulb can withstand upto 900C and halogens cycle itself is at 250C .

So i think one should not worry about the reflectors.. some bits closers to the bulb might heat more than rest of the area but i am sure manufactures know that as well and accordingly build their reflectors.

Paint will most definitely do more absorption no doubt about that, but will it melt the reflector can only be figured out by actually doing a test so who is up for some testing with their headlights :p.

·
Registered
560 Posts
p-3 you are correct.

and ej i appreciate it man but urs is lookin sick as anything haha but shes a work in progress.. when spring hits its make over time

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the real 'facts' have been brought to light. So on a semi-related note, does anyone know if the outer part of the tail light (ie the red plastic part) is a solid piece of red translucent plastic? OR is is a transparent (clear) piece of plastic with some kind of red tinge/tint/film? Thoughts, threads, 'facts'?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
These are red plastic, I have replaced enough broken ones to tell you that!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts