Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, so I've been pretty bored with my care lately and was doing some thinking. I want to open up my headlights, paint the NON-reflector parts of it either black, or the color of my car. and I want to paint the orange reflector with VHT Niteshades so I was wondering what you guys thought.

Black or color of car? and niteshades or not?

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Whats the color of the car?

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
I say body color. Duplicolor makes a "perfect match" spray paint. It comes in 8oz cans. The match will be very close, and since the paint will be behind the lens, any mismatch in the paint will not be noticeable

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where can I get that just wondering? and how do I know what specific color of blue my car is to match it to the paint

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
any part store will have it. also there are videos on youtube of people baking open the headlights. if you dont feel comfortable throwing yours in the oven get a junk yard one to practice on!

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Your SPID sticker will have your paint code on it. Look on the trunk lid

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm alright ill go tomorrow and check it out. ahh alright. where is that located? and nahh I feel comfortable doing it. theres really not much that can go wrong besides the seal but I could always reseal it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
when you open your lights ... could you take some pictures and a little write up on how you did it?

Reactions: RYD SLO

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
^x2

The SPID sticker is located on the inside of the trunk lid.

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
of course I will guys. Glad you reminded me though! I will be doing it today. Most likely black and then possibly going back later and doing it in color.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
There is.really only two ways. With heat from an oven or heat gun. Or use a dremel. Yputube has so many videos showing.how and what to use.

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, I tried both ways. the oven and the heat gun. both ways are pretty crappy to be honest. if I were to go back and do it I would definitely get another set and take my time on it to clear out ALL of the silicon for when putting it back together that way it would be a clean fit and I could use new silicone. other than that it looks great. I will do a write up tomorrow. here's the outcome. (sorry for the bad pics)

Attachments

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Edit: Looks good man!

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
I dig that. Depot headlight looks for the price of a can of spraypaint

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Looks great man :eek:k3:

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you guys, I really appreciate that. I will be doing a write up later when I find some time.:beer:

·
Registered
560 Posts
impalaboy i did the same thing to my head lights. i used plastidipp on the non reflector turned out great! but it was an all day projoc between bakin them cleaning ALL old silicone out painting makin sure everythings right and then putting bak together.. but in the end u get a major appearance hanger cheap! you did a good job on it ur car looks sick!

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks Adam. I really do appreciate that. Couldn't agree anymore on the end appearance though. Definitely worth it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts