Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<<<talking about that.

My oil leak has been fixed. Rear main and the o-ring at the oil cooler fitting(probably not the right wording).

Notice I have a small coolant leak. Take a look and it is a pin hole at the top left of the radiator where the seam is. Can I get by using jb weld or something similar? I really don't want to put in a stop leak because i know that leads to other problems but I am hoping I can fix it with something else on the outside instead.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
You can try but do not hold your breath. I prefer to go with a new radiator myself (I know they are not cheap either). These newer style aluminum core with plastic tanks do not seal up well with epoxy or othe glues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can try but do not hold your breath. I prefer to go with a new radiator myself (I know they are not cheap either). These newer style aluminum core with plastic tanks do not seal up well with epoxy or othe glues.
I am making a pretty long trip this weekend and considering finding an equivalent to wynn's.

This radiator doesn't have a plastic tank. Maybe original? the leak is pin hole and right at the lip. I am considering trying something on the outside, then if it is still present doing a liquid.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I am making a pretty long trip this weekend and considering finding an equivalent to wynn's.

This radiator doesn't have a plastic tank. Maybe original? the leak is pin hole and right at the lip. I am considering trying something on the outside, then if it is still present doing a liquid.

Since it does not have the plastic tanks then do you know someone whom could solder it for you? That would be the best repair, if not, then JB-Weld should do fine. Just make sure it is very clean before applying the JB-Weld.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
If you go with a stopleak additive ....Barsleak has served me well for decades. Shake it up well, put it in while the coolant is still warm, and drive it far a good hour after putting it in. You want ANY stopleak to circulate as much as possible after adding it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right greg, thats why I was planning on doing it when I head up north. It is about an hour trip so I should get good circulation during that time. I will probably still do some jb weld because I have it on hand.

Tomorrow the ol girl is getting a tune up. Hopefully she will be happier then. These strokes of bad luck are depressing my usually undepressable personality.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts