Impala Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Start a new thread, and your car is not dying because of holes in the muffler, that wouldn't even make it run different.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I really think the fuel pump is going out again, when i get up to 42-45 mph a loud electronic whirring noise comes from the back of the car. That would explain the up and down idle and lean code.

I cant figure out how to test the fuel pressure though i rented a tool and the book says to hook the adapter to the throttle body and the the fuel line to the adapter but there's just no space to do it, the fuel line doesn't have enough room to move back to fit in the adapter it just hits the coil or the egr. Where else can i plug it in?

I dont know if it could have anything to do with it taking so long to get running though.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Of course it could affect how long it takes to get it running, if its starving for fuel its gonna be problematic. I don't know the answer for the fuel pressure tester question though, never done it on a throttle body car before...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Of course it could affect how long it takes to get it running, if its starving for fuel its gonna be problematic. I don't know the answer for the fuel pressure tester question though, never done it on a throttle body car before...
I can't find out how to to do it, i can't find anything on the internet.

I've been suspecting the fuel pump but never thought it would cause the car to be hard to start initially, i figured it would be an all the time thing... hot or cold starts.

·
Banned
574 Posts
I can't find out how to to do it, i can't find anything on the internet.

I've been suspecting the fuel pump but never thought it would cause the car to be hard to start initially, i figured it would be an all the time thing... hot or cold starts.
Can the Internet and buy a repair manual, or ALLDATA CD from Auto Zone for your car, http://www.alldata.com/. You'll have much better results.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

·
Registered
2 Posts
I told you on 9/27 to check the fuel pump pressures.
My god man, take it to a mechanic and have them do the test (proper diagnostics) or go to the salvage yard and get an old pump and swap. It ain't that hard. :bang:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I got a warranty on my pump but i dont have anywhere to take it out, i live in apartments and they get pissed at me for just changing my oil. So i wanted to test the pressure myself before i change it and risk getting a fine or whatever. And i don't have the money to blow on someone to do it for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Why would my timing seem to change every time i start my car and drive it? I have the hold down bolt tightened all the way down on the distributor.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Base timing or PCM controlled timing? Base time won't change once you set it unless the timing chain is loose. But you would see that when you are setting the base timing. PCM controlled timing will always be changing due to many factors such as ambient temperature, engine temperatures, humidity, and other factors that the PCM reads through the various sensors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Base timing or PCM controlled timing? Base time won't change once you set it unless the timing chain is loose. But you would see that when you are setting the base timing. PCM controlled timing will always be changing due to many factors such as ambient temperature, engine temperatures, humidity, and other factors that the PCM reads through the various sensors.
I'm not sure. The timing mark seems to be in the same place when i check it with the timing light, but when i set it at a good spot it seems to drive worse with every start up. Like one day i'll drive with no hesitation at take off, then the next time i start it theres hesitation and it gets worse with every start. and on top of that the car shifts gears at different points or the rpms go higher before it shifts.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
You may be loosing the transmission. If there is a vacuum modulator on the trans you may want to check and/or replace it. And try a fluid/filter change on it as well.

I believe on yours that the transmission controls the shifts between 1 and 3rd, and that Over Drive and Torque Converter Lockup are the only things controlled by the PCM.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
where is the vacuum modulator? Someone else was talking about a vacuum line on the transmission but didnt know where to look.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
A 91 should have only a TV cable, the computer controls only torque converter lock-up. A vacuum leak or a rich condition may cause the problems you're having.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if your getting suction in you gas tank wicth is noticeable after driving then taking your gas cap off it could be cooking fuel pumps and the wiring inside the tank.solution replace gas cap and charcoal canister relay located at the top center passenger side of your intake manifold.this happened to my 96 impala s/s and my 95 caprice classic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if your getting suction in you gas tank wicth is noticeable after driving then taking your gas cap off it could be cooking fuel pumps and the wiring inside the tank.solution replace gas cap and charcoal canister relay located at the top center passenger side of your intake manifold.this happened to my 96 impala s/s and my 95 caprice classic

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I wonder if he still has the Caprice after the 4 years that this thread was inactive?

81 - 100 of 100 Posts