Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few weeks i'll be heading back to college so i'm taking the time i have left to do some major mods and repairs on the beaSSt. Last night i took the driver side fender well off, and am going to do the passenger side tonight. I'll put up pics as soon as i get home, but to give u an idea they definitely have some rust damage that needs to be taken care of pronto! So they are both going to be sandblasted and powdercoated a gloss black to match the outside.

I didn't realize how much this would open the engine so i'm taking the time i need to do other repairs as well. For instance i have 117,000 miles on it so its more than time to change the sparkplug wires (bright red ones :eek:k3:). I am also getting the calipers powdercoated red, installing drilled and slotted rotors, and stainless steel brake lines (hopefully in the same time frame, not positive tho).

I will also be performing some clean up items, such as hiding my light wires.

One thing i wanted to do was powdercoat the exhaust manifolds a deep black, but i'm afraid to take them off becuase i'm extremely worried about snapping the bolts and rendering my block useless. Any suggestions? For now i'm sticking with the quote i saw on this site earlier, "if it aint broke don't eff with it" lol

I will make sure to keep this thread as updated as possible with as many visuals as i can provide, so subscribe and stay tuned!! :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Ill keep an eye on this thread. Always fun to tinker with your car. And if it aint broke, dont fix it. Or be sure to have the time and eq to be able to fix the effups... ;)

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
I did a set of manifolds in high temp ceramic paint in aluminum looking silver paint, they came out beautiful!!! Just make sure you do several light coats, it runs easily, and the best part about it, is every time they heat up, the ceramic paint cures harder and gets more durable! Can't wait to see pics, your engine bay already looked good as is!

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, sorry it took so long but i finally have some pics for you guys! :eek:k3:

This is the beaSSt, in its current state:

The driver's side fender well about to be powdercoated:

The new spark plug wires (not completely finished but at least plugged in):

The worst looking part on this car, the battery tray (passenger side fender well, also to be powdercoated):

The wheels, hopefully powdercoated soon:

This is my progress so far, lemme know what you think! :beer:

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Very very nice man. Makes me want to pull some shit of my car just because.:beer: Keep it up. And please provide some items used for the fender wells, cause my passenger side looks like a land mine got to it.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
how come you're still rockin the "home plate"?

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
LOL.... Easy now. That home plate is bad ass sometimes.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how come you're still rockin the "home plate"?
I've used 4 different intakes now, the "homeplate" provides much better throttle response in my experience, and with my current intake (my favorite so far) it just rocks. I've had no trouble chirping the tires when switching to second and have burnt them off from a roll plenty of times with this new setup, so i'm gonna go ahead and stick with it! :eek:k3:

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And please provide some items used for the fender wells, cause my passenger side looks like a land mine got to it.
The only real tool that i've had to use for the fender well was a socket wrench. Unfortunately because of some stubborn bolts i've also had to use a screwdriver and vice grips :lol:. The driver's side was relatively easy, but there are some items attached to it that have to be removed in the process (windshield washer fluid tank), luckily mine was already out because i was in the process of painting it gloss black :eek:k3:

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been awhile since my last update, but I have made significant progress. First off, after a very DIFFICULT removal of the fender wells (see pic below) and the battery tray, they are off to the powder coaters. The last 4 spark plugs are removed, and are ready to be put on. I also got some new toys in the meantime (see bottom two pics) :WTF:

Grinding off terribly bad fastener ideas by GM (retaining clips that are broken by something as pathetic as wind):

My new toys, BLUE LED STRIPS!!! So many ideas for these but can't give them away just yet!

More pics throughout this week, I should have everything i want to be done by this weekend, so MANY updates will be hitting the forum! :eek:k3:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
don't be blinking those as well as flashing highbeams just to get through heavy traffic :devil:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
shameless up to no good fun....I like it!

·
Registered
624 Posts
OK, sorry it took so long but i finally have some pics for you guys! :eek:k3:

This is the beaSSt, in its current state:

look at that big ass garage ..man that sucks... cant what to roll around in my gravel driveway.:bang: nice job though lookin good

·
Freestyle Bullfighter
445 Posts
Love it! lol And may I say with All Jealousness You Sir SUCK LOL

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Report for Friday!!!:

The beaSSt lives! Finally got the last four spark plug wires on. pulled in out of the garage, let her warm up a bit, and then i let the neighbor's know i was out! :giggle:

Unfortunately, the wheel wells are not finished yet at the powdercoaters, but everything else is good to go! Will post pics asap

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: inner fender wells have been sandblasted and will be powdercoated today or tommorow. I took the extra time to rework my wiring for the underbody lights as well as install a switch for my new "led headlights" on the inside of the car so i don't have to open up the hood everytime i want to turn them on. :eek:k3:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
you're nuts :giggle:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts