Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Ill try to make this short. Couple weeks ago went to look at a "2012 Impala fleet 53K miles". Popped the hood, told guy it was a 2011, not 2012. Disappointing. 3 hour drive, but I still took it home. Price was super right. Put 2k miles on it in a couple weeks now.

Likes to really shift out of gear on hills on highway If I give it a hair of gas going up a hill it won't hop out of gear when the cruise is on. But what got me is this last 500 mile road trip, flat road going 55-60 and it hopped right out of gear to 3500 rpms and back to 1500-1700. Awesome. Ill be selling the car, I posted it for sale.

Car runs great, really good MPGs. Just wouldn't want to drop a transmission into it anytime soon. Now this is why I am on the fence. I could easily find a 2012+ LTZ if someone decides they want this car.

I could come up with the extra money and get a 9th gen with possibly a hair more miles with the V6. I just do not want to end up getting another 8th gen limited, LTZ ect and end up having issue early on. I am pretty set on getting one of these 3.6 with the 6 speed. I find no interest in the 2.5 that GM is pushing out right now and Impala is really only vehicle close in my price range, don't have double the money for a cadillac or those buick coupes.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
We never even looked at an 8th gen bought the wife a brand new 2003 3.4l and drove it(235k) till we bought her a 1year old 2014 9th gen. The 2014 is a nice car, closest things to "complaints" I have are the dead numb steering and the front seats feel almost like sitting down into a cockpit like the window line and console are a little higher than I am used to. The interior space is good, done 3 boosters across the back, trunk is great, 3.6 feels good despite sending the power to the wrong end of the car. Wife says the rear visibility is poor but that is basically everything newer, bigger headrests, airbags in pillars, aerodynamics shrinking the back window etc.

2.5l is going to wear out premature wear is a constant in vehicles with undersized engines, and having to replace an engine undoes all the ecological good the minuscule fuel savings might have done.

·
Registered
598 Posts
FWIW, in my opinion, the 2012+ 8th gens have most of the bugs already ironed out. In place of the 4T65E, the 6T70 is a great transmission, and is also the same transmission in the 9th gens. The 3.6 LFX engine is probably one of my top three "common" engines ever made. The 8th gen is also a little lighter than a 9th gen.

With a few tweaks, such as a backup camera and a Rosen, I think the 8th gen LTZ (I specifically mention LTZ because of the FE3 suspension and larger tires) can rival most cars in its price range for comfort, practicality, power, economy and driving fun. Put a couple more hundred dollars in it with a tune, suspension and brake / exhaust upgrades it becomes a heck of a car. Plus I think it looks pretty good too, and it's easier to work on than a 9th gen should the need arise.

If the transmission is your main concern, shift kits for it do exist and, from what I've heard, do wonders for it.

Please note, this is just my opinion. I hope it helps, though!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, I still think that the 2012+ 8th gen Impalas are one of the best deals out there. Great engine/trans, good looks (with a few mods) and a very "mature" platform where all common issues are known and are relatively easy to fix. Sure, it's not super high tech like the newer Impalas, but that has both pros and cons - for example, it sure is nice being able to install whatever radio you want - especially a few years down the line when the technology changes. There were quite a few issues with the 9th gens (recalls/TSBs) - and some still exhibit "vibration" issues, with no known resolution. Not to mention that you can buy (2) 8th gens for what a single 9th gen cost (and they have the same powertrain). :)

Just my opinion, of course!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
interesting, everything i read on this forum says the 2006-2011 is pure shit. yet i've put 120k on a 2010 3.5 and had pretty successful results. to each their own i suppose.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
The transmissions in the 2006-2011 are just a little sketchy... Some will run to 150k+ miles, yet others will need rebuilt at 70k miles. You just never know. It's not that they're "pure shit", it's just that given the choice, the 3.6L engine and 6T70 6-speed trans are just that much better - in terms of power, efficiency and longevity...

We're just saying that given the choice, the 2012+ 8th gens are just that much better.

·
Registered
391 Posts
interesting, everything i read on this forum says the 2006-2011 is pure shit. yet i've put 120k on a 2010 3.5 and had pretty successful results. to each their own i suppose.
I've owned both a 2008 with a 3.5 and a 2013. I certainly wouldn't say the 2008 was bad. I actually really enjoyed it. I Liked the 4 speed, and the power was more than adequate for me. I ran mine to 160k miles without any super big issues. The transmission did start to have the problem where it would bang into first gear (think its been determined that is the pressure control solenoid in the tranny). It also had developed an oil leak (which was pretty common). MPG was great on it too. The 2013 is slightly less fuel efficient, but trades off with more power. I still miss the 4 speed, but the hopefully stronger transmission will outweigh that. We will see how it goes with time, but I agree for now that the 2012+ seem to be a better platform. That is not to say that 06-11 is crap though.

As for a 9th gen. I had a rental for a week or so. I enjoyed the extra technology and comfort. Seats were better, I think the car looks better, power was next to the same, fuel economy similar (compared to my 2013). Ultimately looks and small comfort/technology upgrades arent worth double the price to me. I suppose some of these things might even be remedied if I got an LTZ 8th Gen (have an LT). If I buy another car in the next year or so (might be replacing wifes G6) I will probably look for another Impala Limited (8th Gen 14-16).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tell you what. I was intending on getting the 3.6 with the 6 speed in it. 2012+. This is pretty basic, but price was crazy low for 2012 I thought. I still got a great deal, no doubt. Ill make money dumping this one for sure.

I think I may go with the LTZ 2012+ probably a 2014 or so just in case there were any bugs in the first year. I actually have a pioneer nex8000 double din cd player that I could hook a backup camera too along with GPS, bluetooth music, bluetooth hands free. Could play movies on it while I drove even. That would be a nice setup.

Anyway I see my answer mainly. Some go for a long time, some kick the shit asap. Apparently, the cali roads did not like this car, hills in san fran? It was a LYFT vehicle as well. Who knows, but it seems to not want to shift into 2nd gear that well. 3rd and 4th seem just fine to me. With 55K miles kind of blows my mind to have to do expensive work on a transmission.

That 300 HP has been calling my name. It must be something with the flex fuel? I have had 3 3.5L with G6. One of the older without VVT, and 2 with the VVT. My siblings also each have had one of the 3.5L and no transmission issues ever. Not sure, just my opinion but I don't wanna pay for a transmission and have it go out again sooner rather than later with this model.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
That 300 HP has been calling my name. It must be something with the flex fuel? I have had 3 3.5L with G6. One of the older without VVT, and 2 with the VVT. My siblings also each have had one of the 3.5L and no transmission issues ever. Not sure, just my opinion but I don't wanna pay for a transmission and have it go out again sooner rather than later with this model.
The 300hp really has nothing to do with the flex-fuel - in fact they even have non-flex-fuel versions of the 2012+ Impalas...

What makes them so powerful is mainly a combination of direct-injection and VVT. You can really feel the power once the RPM's get up there 3500+. It just seems like the power just keeps on coming! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I could see how someone could get that impression. I had an 09 super sport and it was fine. I liked it!......but.... I was always really nervous about the transmission though. But now that we have a 14 LTZ limited, I do have to admit that even though the car looks identical, it is far superior because of the underpinnings. So I would disagree that pre-2012 are crap, but I would have to be on board with 2012+ is the way to go at this point.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I agree Joe. I have an 06 with the 3.9L and the transmission has held up pretty well, considering that its 11 years old now. It doesn't shift perfectly, but I've found if you shift the gears manually sometimes, the ecu will 'learn' how to shift more efficiently. To bigmo, I would recommend keeping the car if everything is working properly. The transmissions have the possibility of failing, but there are shift kits that can help prolong the life. Changing the filter and fluid always helps too. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post . I hope I get this right. Any screw ups are unintentional.
I bought my first impala 3 months ago. Its a 2011 Lt in black with charcoal or black interior.
I've driven the car about 5 thousand miles now,and started with 115000.
I love this car and its in like new condition. The day after I bought it,with no warning at all,my transmission quit on me. Just stopped shifting as if I'd put it in neutral. I wasn't concerned as the dealer I buy from would warranty the problem,whatever it was. He did. They put a used transmission from a later model car with 31000 miles. It has performed perfectly since.
The car suits my needs to a T. I love the remote start and the features it came with. I don't have a moonroof or Bluetooth,but I can do without
I read about the transmissions after mine failed. I'm glad it happened when it did or my attitude about the car would surely be different.
In closing,although its used its the newest cat I've owned in years and I couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I drive an 09 LT. I've gone from 90k to 190k and done mostly routine maintenance plus a few small repairs. Thermostat, blend door actuators, fuel vent solenoid, bushings, cam sensor, etc. Now, the tranny has slipped and these cars are known for a weak tranny but otherwise I feel like I've lucked out or had a great car.

Based on what I've seen on here I'm gonna upgrade to a 2012+ LTZ with a 3.6L drive train for the value.

My $.02.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Read all the replies. As mentioned in the other thread, I'm concerned about Transmissions. To summarize, it seems like '08 to '11 are hard shifting and are hit and miss on the longevity of them holding up, but the '12 on are much better Transmission wise.

Looking to update the verification of that (last post was last year) and if anyone could add any more info on it, it would be appreciated.

Probably now looking to buy a '12 to '14.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts