Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently purchased my first GM automobile that includes On Star. Just curious if you think On Star is worth the subscription. I certainly like some of the features. Thanks in advance for any input before I push the Blue button.

Michael

·
Registered
240 Posts
You can get navigation via your phone. I guess the automatic emergency alert would be good on the very off chance of an accident that leaves you unconcious. Long distance remote start would be nice in the winter if you are parked further away than the key remote will work.
It doesn't add up to enough features for my budget side of the equation.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hello,

Recently purchased my first GM automobile that includes On Star. Just curious if you think On Star is worth the subscription. I certainly like some of the features. Thanks in advance for any input before I push the Blue button.

Michael

My adult son and his wife used to drive GM vehicles. My wife and I also had GM vehicles, and I had the OnStar crash subscription. I paid for the OnStar crash subscriptions for my son and his wife’s car - and they said it was a waste of money.

My son drove his wife’s car, s 2006 Saturn Vue, to run an errand after work. A driver in a GMC 2500 series pickup truck drove left of the double yellow line, and struck my son’s vehicle head-on.

The air bag deployed and my son was knocked unconscious, although he was wearing his seatbelt. The vehicle was demolished. OnStar activated and summoned the police and an ambulance. The life squad members removed my unconscious son from the vehicle and transported him to a local hospital. OnStar notified my daughter-in-law, so she could go to the hospital.

The OnStar crash subscription is worth its weight in gold. You will hear some people tell you that you can always use your cell phone to call for help - but not if you’re injured or unconscious. OnStar provides the EXACT location to the police and fire responders.

I do not work for GM or OnStar - I am just a GM consumer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most importantly is that your son is okay. What an amazing story. I think you have convinced me on the safety aspect of the service. Thanks so much for sharing.

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a sad story of america, Head on crash and no bystanders stopped to call emergency services. People stopped caring about their neighbors and ignored jesus commandment.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
What a sad story of america, Head on crash and no bystanders stopped to call emergency services. People stopped caring about their neighbors and ignored jesus commandment.

I do not know if bystanders called emergency services - or stopped.

I do know that OnStar activated in the blink of an eye and summoned help. My son could have been in a location where there were no bystanders. We now live in a rural area and there is not much traffic on the roads (so no bystanders).

It has been my experience that people often don’t realiize their location when faced with an emergency while driving (street and address). Sometime while driving with an adult passenger, suddenly ask them their location and address. If they called 911 - would they be able to provide an accurate location?

·
Registered
240 Posts
According to Consumer Reports, now car companies are looking to charge even more monthly fees to turn on even more features built in to the car already. This especially sucks when it is safety features. If they are charging us to puts the tech into the car already, then they should just build in the price of activation into the car price so people know the total cost up front. Again, especially for safety features.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like insurance, you may never need it, but if you do, it's nice to have the coverage.
I actually use a lot of the services that aren’t related to an accident. Which makes On Star worth it. Remote Access features are my favorite. Diagnostics remotely is very useful. Still learning a lot about my new car.

Thanks for the feedback.

Michael

·
Registered
240 Posts
Still say many will balance the rare likelihood of a crash that will leave one alive but unconscious, versus their monthly family budget, and then figure what is best. I just checked the monthly OnStar cost out of curiosity and adding 10-20% to a monthly used car payment is just not going to work out on a personal cost-benefit analysis for many families.
An extreme version of this analysis that every family must do. Is there a chance that having a paid private armed guard at your home would save you from the chance of robbers or random psycho murderers?Absolutely. Is the cost of said personal guard worth the increased protection? Depends on how famous and rich you are (increases the risk of a crazy targeting you) and on what percent of your income equates to paying for a guard.
Ultimately it would be nice if car makers included all safety related technology as part of the original car cost and all those services transferred when sold used. And only did the prescription thing for all the high end fancy stuff that people swimming in a vault of gold coins can afford to pay for until those services become so common place and affordable that they are also just thrown in for free.
Gets tough to say which things are "safety" items though. So realistically, it is not an easy hair to split for car manufacturers or customers.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Still say many will balance the rare likelihood of a crash that will leave one alive but unconscious, versus their monthly family budget, and then figure what is best. I just checked the monthly OnStar cost out of curiosity and adding 10-20% to a monthly used car payment is just not going to work out on a personal cost-benefit analysis for many families.
An extreme version of this analysis that every family must do. Is there a chance that having a paid private armed guard at your home would save you from the chance of robbers or random psycho murderers?Absolutely. Is the cost of said personal guard worth the increased protection? Depends on how famous and rich you are (increases the risk of a crazy targeting you) and on what percent of your income equates to paying for a guard.
Ultimately it would be nice if car makers included all safety related technology as part of the original car cost and all those services transferred when sold used. And only did the prescription thing for all the high end fancy stuff that people swimming in a vault of gold coins can afford to pay for until those services become so common place and affordable that they are also just thrown in for free.
Gets tough to say which things are "safety" items though. So realistically, it is not an easy hair to split for car manufacturers or customers.

I agree regarding the cost.

However, I wonder how many people pass on the service due to cost, but manage to have money for beer, cigarettes, tattoos, brightly colored hair dye, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just downgraded my DirecTV subscription to make up for the extra money spent on OnStar monthly. So, the cost is not even felt. Have both pay TV and OnStar for a lot less money than I was paying DirecTV monthly. Just a thought for people thinking OnStar is not affordable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts