Impala Forums banner

Oli life reset by accident

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  1970cs 
#1 ·
How the old man managed to do this is beyond me. Any ways. Cause for concern? The oil life had about 40% left. I looked in the manual and it says the following things if this happens.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 3,000 miles since the last oil change.

Be careful not to reset the oil life display accidentally at any time other then after the oil is changed. It cannot be reset accurately until the next oil change.

Bold is what has me concerned. Must be a reason they tell you to do that?

#2 ·
I wouldn't be Alarmed. I would just check the Ticket you have for the last Oil Change and make sure to do it at 3k. If past 3K mark no Big deal. Monday or Next time your Paid if that is on Friday's have the cars Oil Changed.

James

#3 ·
It's just a general warning - nothing actually happens when you reset the oil life monitor (other than, well, resetting the oil life monitor). :)

if you normally wait until 10% before changing the oil, just change it when it says 70% now - and then reset it again and you'll be back to normal.

No cause for concern at all.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Depends on where and how you drive. We make a lot of short trips so ours comes out about 3,000 - 3,500 miles going from 100-0%

Last oil change on ours was 9/30/16 with 13,788 miles. Right now we have 14,995 miles on the car and oil life is showing 64%.

#7 ·
I'm Old School.

I write down the mileage, date and what I did, part numbers and vendor included, for anything I ever do on any vehicle I have. Oil filter brand and part number, oil brand, viscosity and amount, plug brand and part number, wiper brand, model and size; everything, everytime.

Sure, I reset the Oil Life Monitor, and reset at least one of the trip odometers at the same time as I change the oil.

I have one spiral bound book with sections for cars, truck, boat, riding mower, push mower, everything.

It's saved my ass more than once. ;)

#8 ·
I do the same on an excel spreadsheet on my computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.