Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I've been shopping Impalas for a few weeks. It's getting frustrating.

I recall visiting Chevy dealers from time to time in the 1990s. The salesmen, to a man, were the most pathetic, incompetent, lackluster bunch I ran into. And I ran into a lot of salesmen. I traded annually then. I seem to now, too, but that's another story.

BTW, during that decade by wife and I bought six Dodge or Chrysler products.

So I've been in touch with two saleshomies at one Chevy dealership in OH. One was very hot dog and seemed to have his fingers in many pies. The other not so much, but he was responding to an AutoTrader inquiry.
I've phoned and emailed them both and have heard nothing all week.
Is business that good?

Next step: Sales manager or dealership manager.

Another more local Chevy dealership's used car manager contacted me after I got an estimate on a new 2012 from them. I told him what I was looking for. I sent him an email. Left VM.
I've heard nothing.

I don't know about other shoppers, but I have a wacky idea that when someone operates a business, they want to sell stuff and have customers and things like that.:giggle:

This is reminding me so much of the 1990s Chebby dealerships, with the pitiful "sales"men who seemed like a privileged class willing to put forth little effort.

I'm going to drop a couple of emails to a couple of other saleshomies. I'm going to contact one used car manager at a third dealership, the one whose salesman thought Hondas and Toyotas all still used timing belts and in fact, it seemed that he thought the 2012 Chebby Impala we were driving was an ohv jobbie. Oh well.

New GM? Or more New Old GM?

Keeping the KIA is looking better and better to me. If this is typical of a GM dealership, I'm not willing to have yet more experiences as I did at the local Buick/GMC with my GP GXP and the AM radio fix that took five trips and cost the warranty system $2,000 when it could've been solved for perhaps $100 if a competent tech had been available.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
As some of you may know, I've been shopping Impalas for a few weeks. It's getting frustrating.

I recall visiting Chevy dealers from time to time in the 1990s. The salesmen, to a man, were the most pathetic, incompetent, lackluster bunch I ran into. And I ran into a lot of salesmen. I traded annually then. I seem to now, too, but that's another story.

BTW, during that decade by wife and I bought six Dodge or Chrysler products.

So I've been in touch with two saleshomies at one Chevy dealership in OH. One was very hot dog and seemed to have his fingers in many pies. The other not so much, but he was responding to an AutoTrader inquiry.
I've phoned and emailed them both and have heard nothing all week.
Is business that good?

Next step: Sales manager or dealership manager.

Another more local Chevy dealership's used car manager contacted me after I got an estimate on a new 2012 from them. I told him what I was looking for. I sent him an email. Left VM.
I've heard nothing.

I don't know about other shoppers, but I have a wacky idea that when someone operates a business, they want to sell stuff and have customers and things like that.:giggle:

This is reminding me so much of the 1990s Chebby dealerships, with the pitiful "sales"men who seemed like a privileged class willing to put forth little effort.

I'm going to drop a couple of emails to a couple of other saleshomies. I'm going to contact one used car manager at a third dealership, the one whose salesman thought Hondas and Toyotas all still used timing belts and in fact, it seemed that he thought the 2012 Chebby Impala we were driving was an ohv jobbie. Oh well.

New GM? Or more New Old GM?

Keeping the KIA is looking better and better to me. If this is typical of a GM dealership, I'm not willing to have yet more experiences as I did at the local Buick/GMC with my GP GXP and the AM radio fix that took five trips and cost the warranty system $2,000 when it could've been solved for perhaps $100 if a competent tech had been available.
Actually the Impalas ARE OHV just not OHC, but I assume that is what you meant.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
The new 3.6 LFX is DOHC engine (2012-2013)
Yeah that's right they have the Camaro/Caddy based engines now don't they
forgot about that.

But are still OHV engines.

Don't think GM has made a flat head since the middle 50's

P

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
When I worked at the Chevy dealer, they were very good about sales, but service was their big seller. I worked in the service dept. and that was where the dealership made so much money because SOO many people came there even if they bought their car elsewhere. The staff was very friendly and helpful, etc. Sales people worked, but didn't really "inconvenience" themselves. Apparently they all did well enough because they were driving fully loaded cars (non-dealer aka personal). I think it's just the notion that if one is doing so well as-is, why change? I don't agree with it, but it seems that's how it has become. I don't doubt that they expect alot of people to come in from internet listings and such.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually the Impalas ARE OHV just not OHC, but I assume that is what you meant.
2012 Impala is a cammer.

The new 3.6 LFX is DOHC engine (2012-2013)
Perhaps he just hadn't gotten his 2012 3.6 briefing yet.

When I worked at the Chevy dealer, they were very good about sales, but service was their big seller. I worked in the service dept. and that was where the dealership made so much money because SOO many people came there even if they bought their car elsewhere. The staff was very friendly and helpful, etc. Sales people worked, but didn't really "inconvenience" themselves. Apparently they all did well enough because they were driving fully loaded cars (non-dealer aka personal). I think it's just the notion that if one is doing so well as-is, why change? I don't agree with it, but it seems that's how it has become. I don't doubt that they expect alot of people to come in from internet listings and such.
Yes, service is where the real bucks are. But most folks' first impression is the sales department. Win some, lose some.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
You want a model for sucky service, come to MI and visit my Lincoln/Ford dealer. Want a model for superior service, visit my Chevy and my Cadillac dealers. I have learned it is not a manufacturer thing, it is an independant owner thing. Some GM dealer service departments bite, some are great. I imagine its the same thing with Ford, but I have only been to one dealer, and they suck goat balls. No Tony, no pics of the goat ball sucking.....

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
No Tony, no pics of the goat ball sucking.....
You know that will ruin his whole day:giggle: that is rather disturbing:lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ Agree 100%. Chevy dealership that I had originally gone to back in 93 ripped me for $500.00 . The one I go to since then can't do enough for me. Always get a clean car back from them and follow up via phone call to see that repair is good.
Any warranty repair I get to talk to the tech that did the job and look at the parts replaced or whatever.
Went to the Ford dealership in town to get a part for a guy's truck. It was like I was imposing on the parts guy so I left without it. Told him to perhaps work on his people skills. Drove all the way to the city to a dealership there and was treated great.
Like Todd says, it's a ownership thing, not a corporate thing.

Look at Katie, here all the time willing/offering to help.

P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts